Is the only reason you are against Gays serving in the Military religious reasons?

I was watching this news show (on CNN I think it was) early this morning and he was asking people on the street what they thought about Gays in the military. The people who were against it all cited religious reasons for it and when he asked what their religion had to do with the Government and the Military, they all looked dumbfounded and didn't have a response.

So besides religion, what are your reasons you don't agree with this issue? Or is that the only reason you have? If you think gays shouldn't serve in the Military, what other jobs do you think they shouldn't have the right to be in?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:02 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I love the whole "they have to shower together" crap. I hate to tell you ladies this but gay men and women don't much care for checking out men and women they know are straight. There really isn't much point. This is what I never understand about how my dad feels about gay men. He's always like "What if they check me out?" to which I reply "What makes you think you're attractive to a gay man? GAY MEN LIKE GAY MEN DAD! Don't FLATTER YOURSELF!"

Everyone just needs to fucking get over it. Like a PP said, as long as they shoot straight, I salute them. I work with people I know are gay in Law Enforcement. And I don't give a rats ass!
    StRita

Answer by StRita at 2:16 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I wish that tomorrow could be "I'm a gay soldier day". Every gay soldier should go to the C.O and announce that they are gay. Let's see the military deal with that huge loss off soldiers in one day. Then perhaps they would rethink it.

If someone is willing to put their life on the f'n line for me, you can damn well think that I don't give a hoot about their personal life. It's a crying shame that people are so full of hate that they can even see the sacrifices our soldiers make for us on a daily basis. Ungrateful jerks.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 9:11 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Being gay isn't about your sex life. Think of it as your husband not being allowed to say he has a wife.
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 8:16 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• As a prior military member who HAD a lesbian roomate I would just like to point out that it wasn't an issue. She never advertised it, never made me feel uncomfortable or "leered" at me in the shower. Nothing. the only reason I found out was we were hanging out and I picked up a picture of her and another girl from highschool and asked who it was.
    As for showering with lesbians in bootcamp etc. You barely had time to wash your hair you certainly didn't have time to look at the others in the shower. You got in you got clean and you got dressed. Gays don't join the military to find a mate or life partner. They join for the same damn reason everyone else joins. They aren't there to check out their co-workers, they're there to do their jobs.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:41 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• "If someone is willing to put their life on the f'n line for me, you can damn well think that I don't give a hoot about their personal life. It's a crying shame that people are so full of hate that they can even see the sacrifices our soldiers make for us on a daily basis. Ungrateful jerks."

this^
    i can understand not wanting ppl to share their sexual escapades w/ everyone cause i dont want to hear about anyones sex life, gay or straight, but making it a discharge worthy act to openly love and care for someone of the same sex is just flat out wrong.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:16 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Yes, lega2131, because we all know that gays are just ready to pounce on every male (or female if it is about lesbians) they see in the shower. Whether you like it or not, there are already gays in the military. Remember its "don't ask, don't tell". Most of my gay friends are not ones to shout it out to the whole world, they just want a chance to serve in the military and not have the slightest chance of getting kicked out in case someone, somehow finds out.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:11 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• So why do these people get the right to advertise their sex lives?

**************

I know a lot of gay folks, and NONE OF THEM "advertise" their sexual preferences. I agree with you IhartU...if a man is discussing a great date he had with a female, everyone thinks it's acceptable, but if a man discusses a great date he had with another man, it's "offensive" and "gross".
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:15 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• If there are gays already in the military I don't understand what the problem is. Unless of course, its a matter of people want gays to stay "in the closet" so as they don't have to KNOW about it and continue on with their chosen ignorant lives.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:17 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I am very much on the fence with this one. It has nothing to do with religion for me (though I am a Christian), but it's a matter of respect and comfort for both sides. I like the fact that DADT was put in place to protect gays. Obviously, though, it's had ramifications far beyond that - and I certainly don't think under ANY circumstances should someone be dismissed from the military due to their sexual orientation. But I also understand why some would be uncomfortable about bunking with someone they KNOW is gay, just as I would be uncomfortable bunking with men. So basically what I'm saying is: I don't want the gays' ability to be free and open about their sexuality to affect morale or to bring them (homosexuals) any ridicule or heartache. But I also don't want to see them punished for who they are. It's a very very difficult middle ground, and I have yet to see someone come up with a solution that solves everything.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 8:17 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• "So why do these people get the right to advertise their sex lives?"

THESE people? WHat the hell are they, plague ridden zombies?!! LOL geez you make it sound like they are asking to be allowed to walk around buck naked, hitting on every guy they bunk with!! AGain it comes too...people hear "gay" and all they can picture in their head is the SEXUAL ACT of being gay.
    .Get your head out of the gutter and treat them like the people that they are.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:23 PM on Oct. 3, 2010