In you opinion what is worse physical or mental abuse??

I know that they are both horrible but I had someone ask me this and I wanted to see what you ladies thought.

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 8:14 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• They are both horrible, but I believe mental is worse than physical. Some how it's so much harder to forget and can even haunt you all your life. Unfortunately one begets the other anyway.... I think I'd rather be slapped than belittled and brought down emotionally. I would not put up with either form of abuse. I had all I could handle as a child.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 8:18 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• physically abuse will kill you. Mental abuse may take years to work thru with a therapist, but there's no coming back from dead.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 8:17 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Mental. Physical wounds heal...emotional wounds can take years to overcome.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:19 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• IMO, mental is worse. I say that because those being mentally abused are more likely to stay with their abusive partner than those who are physically abused. Physical abuse is also more likely to be noticed by an outside party such as a friend, doctor, etc, while mental abuse can go completely undetected.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 8:23 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Both are horrible but I would have to say physical abuse because more than likely that person is also going through mental/emotional/verbal abuse as well.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:17 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Having been both mentally, sexually, and physically abused as a child I would have to say that the mental abuse has been worse on me. Bruises and welts can heal, but words linger in your heard forever. Thanks to my parents I will always flinch when someone raises their hand and will be in therapy, on anti depressants, and anxiety pills for a long time and I'm only 26 years old.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 8:34 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Mental abuse in my opinion.. It breaks you down to the very core being, destroys any self esteem you may have and can open up a life of abuse that is believed to be "acceptable".. With physical abuse, I know people, even small children can justify why it happened ei: if they were better at school, cleaning, listening etc.. it wouldn't have happened.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:19 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• i think physical. not all physical wounds heal, you can be paralyzed or even killed from someone beating you. i know mental abuse causes great damage and may even cause you to kill yourself, but physical abuse can do that in an instant and there is not hope of working through that with therapy
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:22 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Mental, however I think mental abuse is tied into physical abuse. The thing is that wounds heal, but the mind never forgets. Sometimes it takes years for people to see improvement in therapy and some people never fully heal mentally.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 8:27 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I have to say mental. Physical abuse generally starts off with mental abuse anyway. And, it can take yours to repair the damage done, if it ever is repaired. Plus, mental abuse to lead to suicide as well.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:27 PM on Oct. 3, 2010