Young Kids and pets

We don't have any pets right now. We will have our 4th baby in Jan. What is the best age for our youngest to be before getting a pet? (we are leaning toward a dog)

KaraMia15

Asked by KaraMia15 at 8:15 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Pets

• Depends on how old you want your youngest to be while you are still taking care of the puppy. Having a puppy is just like having an infant. Are you going to be able to care for a young child, and a puppy at the same time? Just things you need to think about.
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 8:43 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• We had 4 cats and 2 dogs before we had our son. Some people don't think kids and pets should ever mix. I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do it - you just have to be committed to training, and watching the children very carefully. Our son learned from a very young age how to be gentle with the pets. At 21 months, he knows how to call the cats to him and he loves it when they sniff his face or rub on his legs. He adores the dogs but we decided to keep them outside for now. I personally think cats are easier and better pets for kids, but it depends on the cat and the kid.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 8:20 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Well if you are having a baby and getting a pet, it really doesn't matter how old your oldest should be because they will ALL be around it. When you get a child a dog, make sure you are okay cleaning up poo and pee, because your kid won't. I have a 13 yo and he doesn't do it. But I love my dogs so I'm ok with it. And please please please!!! Research your breed so you know what you are getting into! Even mixed breeds, research both breeds.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:22 PM on Oct. 3, 2010