Autism?

Do you think that one can recover from autism or be cured of it? Why?

I'm bored and curious.

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 11:11 AM on Oct. 24, 2008 in General Parenting

• Yes. I have seen it, but that is not to say it will work for everybody. Early intervention is critical, and each individual responds differently.

It can also be prevented.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I am curious now as to how it can be prevented exactly? And what exactly does recovery mean to you? Does the child just not show symptoms anymore due to dietary restrictions or what?
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:17 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I have heard that a certin diet can help?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Regressive autism can be prevented in many cases by not overloading a child's delicate immune system with vaccines and chemicals and such. Some children simply cannot handle the toxic overload. Autism is not a psychiatric disorder; it's a biological one.

There is no cure for autism but one can be recovered. Jenny McCarthy says it best; you're not cured when hit by a bus but you can recover from it.

Diet is only one aspect of treatment for an autistic child. ABA therapy can help. Supplementation, detoxifying the body, chelation, HBOT, healing the gut, etc. No case is exactly the same so no treatment is exactly the same.
    Anonymous

• I don't think you can be cured. My niece is autistic. My sister has done everything - diet, daily therapy, a special school, you name it, she does it. My niece is 10 now. She is not getting better. It is very sad.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:35 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• No you cant be cured if you have Autism. It is a neurological disorder and unless someone had a brain transplant then no. You can manage it, and learn how to cope if you have it, but cure it? No.

Answer by gemgem at 3:39 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I don't now. My now 11 yo was diagnosed with autism when he was 2, but when tested recently he showed no signs at all. He's been mainstreamed since kindergarten with no pull out services needed and is in the academically gifted program. My now 13 yo was diagnosed with autism when he was 3 and no interventions I had done with him have made much of a difference. Is my 11 yo cured? I don't know if he is actually cured or if he just has learned to deal with/mask his symptoms.

Answer by missanc at 3:43 PM on Apr. 11, 2011