What is the best way you have found for a young child to choose a sport (or activity) to participate in?

seturkey

Asked by seturkey at 8:30 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• If they have an interested in it (and it is not way off the wall and super expensive). I let my kids do it but for a full season, no quitting on your team mates and stick it through to see if they really do or don't like it. If they don't like it the next yr we try something new.
    KaraMia15

Answer by KaraMia15 at 8:36 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• i just asked my son what he wanted to do and he chose soccer. i agreed to it because i think it will help his coordination and he loves to run so that's good too lol. i gave him a list of acceptable things to choose from so he wouldn't pick something wierd or expensive that i would have to say no to.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:32 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• We let them pick whatever they were interested in after telling them many ideas. With an orthopedic surgeon in the family giving us advice, we did not allow football.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:52 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• If they're old enough to tell you, just ask. Give them a list if there are things you don't want them to do, and if you think they'll stick with what they chose for a whole season (being sure to explain the commitment to them), then go with that.

If they can't tell you what they want to do, then pay attention to their interests and go with something they've been into for a while and which you don't see changing anytime soon. For instance, my son gets up and starts dancing whenever he hears music, so I put him in dance class, and he loves it because it's something he was doing already.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:00 PM on Oct. 3, 2010