Should I tell her dad?

So this is complicated. My mom used to babysit this little girl. From like 6 months to 10. So she is kind of like a little sister. But her mom and my mom got into a fight and they cut off contact. A few years later she found me on facebook. And we message each other. She's 15 now. She just told me about a 28 year old that wants to be with her! Now I know I should tell her dad. But then she'll feel she can't talk to me and I'm afraid of who she'll turn to instead.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:35 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Message her dad to see if he has FB and tell him that you feel it would be in his best interest to monitor her activity and "friends" on there.

He can create a fake account under a different name so that she won't know he is on there
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 8:37 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• If she's being preyed on by a 28 year old man it could cost her life. You need to tell, it involves personal saftey and you need to explain that to her so she understands. Maybe show her some stories of girls just like her....
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:37 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I agree, you should tell. But I like the first suggestion, tell her dad he needs to look into things. Give him enough info to let him find out on his own. If he still doesn't find out, then you can tell him. GL!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 8:39 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Also, you could approach him privately and tell him that he needs to trust you and that it is in his daughters best interest to continue to trust you and for him to trust that you will make him aware of anything dangerous. As long as she still trusts you, she will confide in you and then in her best interest you can keep dad in the know on the important stuff. You can also use this as a way to encourage her to talk to and trust her Dad too
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 8:39 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• In that situation, it is for the best that her parents know.
    You never know what could happen...
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 8:47 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• You need to tell her father. Like another poster said, it could mean her life!! NO 28 yr old should want to be with a 15 yr old. There are all kinds of red flags going off here. Before I talk to ANY kid, I tell them " I will NOT tell your parents what you say to be unless: someone is hurting you, will hurt you, you are hurting someone else or into any illegal activity".

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:44 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Are you the only one she's told? Maybe you can find out why she feels the need to be with this man? Point her in another direction and get her involved in something else? Sometimes they do this because they want to be loved? Even if you tell her dad, she may be stopped by this one, but she'll do it again until she understands why its dangerous. and you know Dad may not be the one to do that. How involved / active do you want to be in her life. The fact that she sought you out tells me she's looking for attention. Are you willing to give her the time and be involved in her life? I pray the Lord will not only give you wisdom in how to handle this but the words to encourage this lonely child.
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 4:26 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Use your influence to discourage this or at least monitor, and if things get bad, then tell.

Answer by older at 10:29 AM on Oct. 4, 2010