Help! What Do I Do Part II??

See Post down a few posts entitled Help..What do I do...now he has been crying since bedtime for NO reason!!! (1.5 hours)!! he is def. into some type of power struggle thing. When he was fully potty trained for 6 weeks and decided he didn't want to go anymore unless he felt like it. Otherwise he went in his pants. Now we put him in pullups and he tells us all the time!! Then the eating thing...not eating as a power thing and waking up in the middle of the night so we will cater. Since we ddin't cave on that either he is trying something new. Really?? What gives??

coolchic320

Asked by coolchic320 at 8:36 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't really agree that kids that little can have "power struggles" with mom&dad... if this is VERY out of character for him (and from reading your last post it is, along with the not eating thing) then i would assume something is wrong and he is sick. has he had a fever at all? or pulling on his ears? or teething molars? or anything that would signal something is "wrong" in his body? I really truly don't think that toddlers KNOW how to try and get "power" from the parents he is probably just trying to get your attention and let you know that something is wrong, kwim? :( i'm sorry you're struggling, i DO know what its like to deal with a screaming child for 1+hours at bedtime and i also know what its like to get up with them all night long but my kids usually only did that when they were sick :-/
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 8:46 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• the easiest thing i figured out with power struggles is choice and consiquence, if my dd 18m refuses her nap, then she doesnt get to play or scream in bed and annoy me her consiquence is then having to stay up and be nice. if she wants to thro dinner she is done with dinner,and i pick it up once shes cleaned up sp she doesnt get the joy of rethrowing it. (i give her a pb&j) before bed those nights, and bedtime is bedtime. scream all u want if ive tried everything once i ignore her.. usally reminding her that its a bad descion helps change her mind. its easier then fighting but believe me we have some rough days
    mayo9mommy

Answer by mayo9mommy at 8:47 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Thanks DreainCo I appreciate it..
    coolchic320

Comment by coolchic320 (original poster) at 8:54 PM on Oct. 3, 2010