What would it take for a judge to just say "the hell with it. I'm taking your parental rights away"?

My cousin lost her son last September '09. She wasn't feeding him and he went from 3 mo to a year without gaining any weight. he's with his Paternal grandma. They go back to court on Tues. My cuz has only done 3 of the 8 required things needed to get him back. She has no job,and lives with her mom. I saw her court papers. CPS is suggesting another year of his being with his grandma,but also suggested as a second choice that her and her bf's rights be revoked since neither seem to want to do what is required of them.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 8:57 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• I am that Grandma. The did terminate rights eventually. Unfortunately the courts prefer reunification over everything else. The judge in our case didn't terminate rights until the the kids had been reunited with their Mom for 5 weeks and 2 days. My GD lost 20% of her total body weight, my GS lost 25% of his. Children are the ones paying the price of courts favoring biological parents. The best interest of the child is what they say..but it isn't how they rule. Our grandkids have been with us now since early 2005, formally adopted 2008. I hope this childs grandma gets to keep him forever.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:03 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Unfortunately, it takes a lot for a judge to terminate the parents' rights. I think the question would be, does she really want him back?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:01 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Yeah, they'll probably lose their parental rights. If they haven't done anything yet. Unless they have an epiphany at the last minute and see the light and beg the judge for a last chance.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:32 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• With CPS they petitiong the court with a reunification program like the one you speak of. If they are asked by the court to follow the reunification plan and do all of it's services and choose not to, thats all it takes. Seen this a cajillion times, It's not as hard as you think.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:13 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Neither she nor the "sperm donor" really want him back. They feel they have a right to "have their own lives" and partying and sleeping with half the town is their priority. My cousin had a second child by the same guy in April. So far he's gaining weight,but we suspect she's hurting him somehow because he's afraid of her. We haven't caught her doing it so far. He's with myaunt more than his mom because she goes out drinking at least 2x a week,every week. She feels that she should not have to get her GED and a job like they told her to.I reallyhope the judge decides on putting him up for adoption. His other grandma isn't doing what she should either. He turns 2 on Fri,and he weighs 22lbs!

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 9:26 PM on Oct. 3, 2010