How do I avoid raising my voice when my daughter does something inappropriate?

I need Nanny 9-1-1! I have a very short temper and get frustrated easily! My daughter is about 14 months old and does not do things out of spite, but likely because she is learning. How do I correct her without raising my voice? Raising my voice only makes me more frustrated plus she just grins at me as if I am not upset! How can I calmly and effectively correct my daughter???

2Momz

Asked by 2Momz at 11:13 AM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think for this age....say her name once in a loud and calm tone....that will get her attention. Throw in a look to...do you have look she knows you do? If that doesn't work and you want Nanny 911....walk up to her and get on her level and tell her what she is doing is wrong and if she doesn't listein to you, she will go in a time out.....now if you want just regular mommy 911.....when she does things that are bad and she knows better....just walk to her and swat her behind and say...Do it again!!! Maybe then she will get the point!! If that doesn't work tell her that Mommy 911 is coming and she's isn't pretty at all!!!
    stayhomemom22

Answer by stayhomemom22 at 11:22 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• This works for me...I hardly ever raise my voice at my children out of frustration. Everytime you yell at your child make a point to apologize to them. Wouldnt you want someone to apologize to you if they yelled at you! As soon as you calm down, handle the situation etc, tell them your sorry for yelling. No one wants to go around apologizing all day...lol, and it keeps it in your mind that yelling at your children is not ok. Sometimes you get so used to doing a certian behavior that you forget it's not ok....
    NichollHead

Answer by NichollHead at 11:25 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I have a 15 month old and completely understand! I can be short tempered too. I think part of it is understanding that they are learning. I think she has fallen in love with toilet water lately! Oh and she loves the garbage. When she gets into things she shouldn't, I will try first by saying her name and telling her to look at my face. This usually works but if it doesn't I will walk over to her. Either way, I make eye contact and say "no" or "Simone, Mom said no." And then removing her from the area. She has learned somethings quickly and other things not so quickly. Or she just doesn't care lol.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 11:46 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I would count in my head until I felt rationale enough to deal with the problem.. Sometimes you have to leave the room. You have to be patient and calm when dealing with them at that age. I know it's frustrating and you can't seem to do anything about it.. but please try. Just relax, realize that no matter what she does (as far as making messes) it can be cleaned up later.. Trust me when I say you will look back at these times and laugh.. Here is something I like to share:

Cleaning and scrubbing can wait for tomorrow,
    For babies grow up, I've learned, to my sorrow.
    So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust, go to sleep.
    I'm rocking my baby, and babies don't keep.
    (Ruth Hulburt Hamilton)

pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:47 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I think it is especially important to remember that they are learning. If she is pulling things out of the cupboard, just let her. If she needs to pull the books off the bookcase, no big deal. While it is difficult at times, they are making some very important developments.

Good luck!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 11:49 AM on Oct. 24, 2008