how can i get my 10 month old to stop using a pacifier? she doesnt need it except for sleeping...

SweetMiss

Asked by SweetMiss at 9:00 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Cold turkey. Your child loses the sucking phase around 4 months of age. Just take it away and you may have few rough days. But that is the best method.
    Meredith C.

Answer by Meredith C. at 9:04 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Actually, most kids do NOT lose the non-nutritive sucking need until 18 months old.
    I don't agree with taking it away...especially if she is attached for comfort and can't understand why you are taking it away. My kids will keep it until they give it up. If by 5, it isn't gone, then, they are old enough to understand and discuss why they have to give it up. Most kids WILL give it up by 3 or 4. It has been shown to not affect teeth until after than as well. Give her time...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:16 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My son just stop taking his at 10 months. He one day woke up and no longer wanted it. I was glad...It was going cold turkey by 12 months. I would stop giving it to her at naptime and see what happens. My son now at 4 years looks at kids his age having pacifiers as baby stuff.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:07 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• What is your rush? My son gave up his at 18 months with no assistance from me at all. It comforts her and doesn't harm her at all so I don't get why you would do this.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 12:20 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I wouldn't rush it, myself. I make sure they have it only for sleeping by a year, and after that they can give it up when they are ready. DS1 gave his up on his own at 3.5. DS2 is almost 3 and still uses his. DD never took one at all. She prefers mommy's breast to a fake rubber nipple, lol.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:44 AM on Oct. 7, 2010