Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

birth father's parents have any rights?

I was married to a man who I have a little girl with... we seperated because he was abusive, he refused to have anything to do with our daughter, and said he would sign over his rights after we annuled our marriage. Well he ended up passing away because he drank and drove... I didnt even go to the funeral, his new girlfriend ( who was pregnant at the time) handled everything....
During the time we were together I met his family once because we live in different states, they are just plain trash.... but, now they keep trying to add me on facebook and myspace, etc... and I am scared they they might try to have something to do with my daughter --- who my new husband has adopted.... Is there anyway they can legally try and get visitation or grandparents rights or something ?


Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Parenting Debate

This question is closed.
Answers (15)
  • they shouldnt!!!!!!

    Answer by alexis_06 at 8:15 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

  • Since your daughter has been adopted they no longer have rights. I wouldn't worry about it on a legal basis. Emotionally it would be best to have a relationship with these people unless they are truly dangerous or something.

    Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:32 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

  • There's no relationship established with the grandchild, so it would be very difficult to win a case for grandparents' rights. Is there a reason why you don't want your daughter to know her paternal grandparents?

    Answer by Fallaya at 9:11 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

  • they can def try because there is such thing as grandparents rights but if they have gone this long without seeing the child then any judge is going to question that and wonder why...its very hard for them to get rights but all they have to do is petition the court and then its up to a judge....i kinda know where youre coming from and what i learned is that i just want my baby to have as many ppl that love her as poss in her life even if that means im not crazy about those ppl....and it BEATS the heck out of wondering when/if youre gonna get court ordered to chare your to just do it on your own terms

    Answer by mamagee1218 at 9:08 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

  • In some states,in the case of death,his parents do indeed have rights. To exercise those rights though they will need a lawyer. If they are not well off yoiu probably have nothing to worry about. I would not friend them on any networking site if you don't want to deal with them.

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:10 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

  • Honestly, I would prefer to have them friended on FB. Just because they could keep up with her growth and accomplishments and you may not have to deal with them. Besides, if you add them and they give you too much hassle, you can always delete them. And, it's never a bad thing to have people in your daughter's life that love her.

    Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:25 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

  • I would keep in touch with his family, even though your husband has adopted her and they no longer have any claims. And the only reason I say this is because I never knew my birth father (until just last year) and didn't even know that my dad wasn't my birth father until I was 13. My mother wouldn't give me any information about my birth father FOR THE MEDICAL HISTORY for my children and myself, and it took me almsot 7 years to find him and actually get word to him about what I was after. They just kept me in the dark and that was information that I needed. And it is something that your daughter will need, as well. And unless you are worried about them causing any kind of harm to your child, why can't they just be extra grandparents in her life that love her?

    Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 9:51 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

  • It depends on your state law. Grandparents do have rights in many states in situations like your's. They would have to pay for a lawyer to try to get visitation though. Maybe, if they are trash, they won't have the money to hire one. They would have to file in your state making it even harder for them. Maybe if they know your dh adopted her they won't try.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

  • Only if your state or their state recognizes grandparents rights and most do not yet.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:04 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

  • *share

    Answer by mamagee1218 at 9:09 PM on Oct. 3, 2010