How much do you spend on Halloween Costumes?

Do you make your own?

Do you buy pre-made costumes?

Do you buy them in a story, or used (like ebay or craigslist)?

What is the MAX you will spend?

ARmom

Asked by ARmom at 9:15 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• It depends on what they want to be. The older they get, the more complicated they want to be! My son wants to be a ninja. The most I'll "splurge" for a costume is $20. That's MORE than enough for the stupid cheap lil costumes they sell. It might be different if they would be made of something more durable. This year dd wanted to be a geisha but we were at goodwill looking for costumes and found a pretty black dress with a white lacy design and netting along the bottom. I am sure it was a dress worn to a school dance or something. She decided to be a corpse bride/vampire type thing - works for me!! We'll paint her face white and put blood on her mouth or something. Do up her hair and such. $4.01 out the door - including the face paint!! Youngest ds I bought a pumpkin sleeper/costume last year on clearance - paid less than $5 for it. I hate spending a lot cuz they only wear them to school and trick or treating.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 9:58 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• It honestly depends... I have made costumes for both me and my daughter but then I have also bought them in stores. I have bought costumes for myself at second hand stores but my daughter's are either homemade or brand new. The most I have ever spent on a costume was $20 it was for my daughter who was 1 at the time and I bought it because it was soooo adorable... she was a monkey lol.
    justduckie_mom

Answer by justduckie_mom at 9:19 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• i go to the store to get mine i paid $17 for my sons
    twimommy

Answer by twimommy at 9:21 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I went online this year and spent 20 on my daughter and 30 on my son. I will sell them for about 1/4 of what I paid for them next year on craigslist.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 9:22 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I am the least crafty person I know so I do not make them . We buy them and usually spend between 20-40 on each ....
    mamahol

Answer by mamahol at 9:17 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Last year I didn't spend much on costumes. I found a sequenced dress at the goodwill and bought a crown, fake flowers and made a banner and one of my daughters was Ms. Kentucky. My other daughter was a rapper I found pants at goodwill, and bought a hat with dreds attached at kroger, everyone loved their costumes and they won contest at school. But usually I or someone else makes their costume. One year I made one Little Bo Peep and her sheep. One year I made one Dorthey, one the scarecrow, and the two little boys I watch the lion and tin man. They got on the front page of the Henry Local. I've never ordered on ebay but they have cool costumes. I wouldn't spend over $40 for one costume.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 9:22 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Last year we spent about 100.00 on costumes for our three girls. Brand new. This year we are thinking about buying them on ebay. Hoping we can save some money.
    mom23girls541

Answer by mom23girls541 at 9:40 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• We make our own and the cost varies based on what the kids want to be. I'm not sure how is the most, but I know $240 is too much (that what the Ariel costume is that I want for my oldest daughter).
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:42 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• the cheapest way to go, sometimes its cheaper to buy than to make. its more fun to make if they can help you but i always keep in mind.. that they only wear it ONCE.
    Ross2010

Answer by Ross2010 at 10:02 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• my son is only 2 1/2 and i know he wont be keeping it on for a long time, so i spent 12 dollars this year at walmart, hes a going as woody, it comes with the big cowbo hat and he loves that hat, lol my husband and i are going to but him a holster annd toy gun to complete his costume. but we wont spend more than 60 on a costume. his costume last year was 30.00 and he only wore it for 2hrs
    Snavarro08

Answer by Snavarro08 at 10:09 PM on Oct. 3, 2010