How long should my newborn nurse?

We are at day nine and she will stay latched as long as I leave her.
I'm making about 1.5 oz every 2.5 hrs after 25-30 minutes of pumping (today is my first day nursing again after a serious BFing injury blackened and tore both my nipples-I got help from a lactation consultant for that one)
With my first chil. I had supply issues so I'm very afraid to cut her nursing too short.
I let her nurse on one side for 25 minutes and I moved her to the other side. She had slowed down but had not let go. She then mused for about 10 minutes on the other side before she got the hiccups and I removed her. I thought I would pump the rest out but there was just a few drops.

My question is how do I know when to remove her if she doesn't let go on her own?

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 9:27 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You are not supposed to remove her. It is normal for them to stay attached for a long time. You don't switch sides per feeding unless she pops off. Just let her stay attached and sucking until she pulls away. Then, next feeding, you put her on the other side and let her suck until she pulls off. Eventually, everything will regulate and she will become more efficient at emptying the breast and will take less time at the breast.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:33 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• If you are worried about supply issues nurse her as long as you can stand. The more you nurse the better supply you will have. If she is still actively eating I would just let her be. Pumping will never get us much out as a baby, so you may have more in there than you think. If you think she has had enough take her off, if she is fussy and seems hungry than leave her longer. As long as she is wetting/pooping enough diapers a day than I wouldn't worry.
    This is a great article if you want more details.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing.html
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 9:34 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• 15 min. to 20 on each side. You can feel your breast drain. Your breast becomes very soft. If she stops sucking touch her check or her feet to wake her up. Once awake put her on the other side.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 9:36 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I've always done 15 minutes a side, it's what they told me to do in the hospital and I've never had a problem with my newborns gaining weight or peeing enough. I can understand being afraid to cut it short if you had supply problems with your first though, I've never dealt with that.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 9:47 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Let her nurse until she comes off naturally. Then offer the other side. It is good for your supply to do it this way. It will also ensure that she gets the fatty hind milk.

I know it feels like all you do some days is stick the baby to the boob. But it wont be like this forever. And it is healthy for your baby and good for your supply.

Pump out put is not an indication of supply. Your child gets the milk out much faster than the pump. You may not even let down half of your milk to the pump.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:58 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• let baby nurse as much as often and for as long as they want.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:21 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Let her go til she lets go. The risk of switching sides is baby getting too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk - and if that happens baby won't gain weight well, will feed more often which leads to yet more foremilk without hindmilk, and just general frustration - yes, I went through it and it wasn't fun! Don't unlatch a baby unless they bite the nipple.
    Anonymous

• I would removed them once they fell asleep. If she is hungry, she will wake and ask to nurse again... if you are just sitting around (reading, TV, etc...) than leave her latched.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:05 AM on Oct. 4, 2010