intolerance

Do you think that a belief in religious and moral absolutes breeds intolerance?
What if one of the absolutes was the belief that you had to love everyone?

tobys.mommy

Asked by tobys.mommy at 9:28 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think that some religious people interpret it that way, yes. Talking specifically about Gay rights and tolerance (which has been a hot topic lately) I find it odd that the same people who say "I am a Christian but I dont believe in persecuting or being hurtful to people with different ideas." Dont they realize that voting against Gay marriage is hurtful?
    OP- I thank your church leaders for offering that information. I am not a Christian but used to be and have read the bible. That's the way I interpret it too. I wish more Christians were listening to sermons like that and realizing that loving is an absolute. If that were the case, I think that there would be way less people who were "turned off" by the idea of Christianity.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 11:01 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• You have to determine what "intolerance" is. My religion believes in moral absolutes, however, it doesn't encourage hate or persecution. I can believe something is morally wrong, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna be hurtful to those who believe differently or who act in way I personally deem immoral.
    Remember, you can be so open minded that your brains fall off :) There's nothing wrong with having an absolute moral value as long as it doesn't incite you to be violent or hateful.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:39 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• No. I don't believe religious or moral absolutes breeds intolerance. I believe that you can hold very strict religious and moral absolutes for yourself and still have the understanding that others don't agree with you. We choose whether or not to be intolerant, no matter what our beliefs are. What breeds intolerance is the belief that OUR personal beliefs should control OTHERS... I know LOTS of people with very strict personal, religious and moral beliefs who are also very tolerant of others, who understand that their beliefs are just that and that others have the right to choose to live a life they want, even if it's not what they would choose.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:32 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Extremism and hate breeds intolerance, I think human nature prevents us from loving everyone.
    zakityzak

Answer by zakityzak at 9:32 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I think anything that doesn't accept people for who they are and where they are at in their lives could be considered a form of intolerance.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:40 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Now, I have a suspicion that this question is related to gay marriage. If not, it's a good example. Because of my religious beliefs I would never consider homosexuality to be a moral action. However, that doesn't mean that I'm out there bashing gays, insulting them, or even actively seeking to prevent gay CIVIL marriage. I respect them as people but that doesn't mean I have to change my beliefs because the'll be offended by my views.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:43 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Thanks for the input ladies! It doesn't have anything to do with gay marriage specifically. I was at a retreat this weekend and the speaker very briefly talked about how some people think that having moral absolutes can breed intolerance, but that if you are a real Christian one of your absolutes is to love everyone...so therefore Christians should not be intolerant to others just because of their lifestyle choices.
    Just wanted to know what others thought about it...
    tobys.mommy

Comment by tobys.mommy (original poster) at 9:48 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• No, I don't think belief in moral absolutes has to lead to intolerance. I'm a big believer in the idea that 'your rights stop at the end of your nose.' For me, a line is crossed when someone else tries to dictate their morality to me, or vice versa. For instance, I'm a strict vegetarian for moral/religious reasons... but I don't enforce that on anyone else, not even my spouse or kids. I will make the choice that I believe in for myself... they must make their own choices. I don't think there is anything intolerant in holding a belief that something is right or wrong... however I do think that we must determine those morals in our own life and not push others to live according to moral precepts that we may hold that they may not.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:44 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• so long as those moral absolutes dont keep others from making their own life choices, i dont think its intolerant. personally, im very adamant that one night stands and abortions are immoral, so i dont participate in those things and never will. but i realize that my choices are only mine and my experiences that lead me to these moral absolutes are not the same as others.

loving everyone would be VERY hard to follow...i can stand just about anybody, but actually care about them, very hard.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:57 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• People breed intolerance. IT's their own mind that warps love into hate.Maybe some religions help that, IDK. But it's sad nonetheless.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:14 AM on Oct. 4, 2010