a casino?

so in the little town of fairview oregon they want to put a casino. what can i do to stop it i'm only one little person that has little money. (My opinion)
pros: it brings jobs to our horrible economy, and there is someplace to go and have fun
cons: the closure of mom and pop shops, (i lose my job). more gang violence. schools will lose more money then they have already lost. it would put more government workers out of a job. not to mention those how are addicted to gambling having an even harder time recovering.
stupid idea

natasha86

Asked by natasha86 at 9:39 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Ok, keep in mind that I live in Las Vegas... I'm wondering why you think there will be more gang violence and why schools would lose money. Gaming taxes are what funds our schools and them paying so much is the reason we don't have a state income tax. The major things I notice when a new casino opens are more jobs and more old people. Seriously, they love the cheap entertainment of playing penny slots all day for ten bucks and they can't resist the cheap buffets, LOL.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:45 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• these man would be private owners, it's not state funded. so the money would be going into their pockets
    natasha86

Comment by natasha86 (original poster) at 9:49 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I think all casinos are privately owned. But they still pay huge amounts of gaming taxes, just like any industry.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:51 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Ok, I just googled it. depending on your state, the casino will be paying up to 20% and up of their revenue back to the state. And Illinois takes up to 50% of the riverboat gambling fees as taxes, which I didn't know.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:58 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I live in Oklahoma and our little town now has more than a dozen casinos within a few miles distance. Our gang violence did not increase but jobs have. Mom and pop shops did not close, but now more people shop at them since they are here to gamble. We have a lot more concerts in town now and there are nice restaurants in almost every casino. I don't gamble and haven't been to most of the casinos around here (the ones I have it has been to watch live bands or eat at the restaurants). It really hasn't hurt our town at all, if anything it's making our economy better for those who have enough sense to stay out of the casinos.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:03 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Our state has several large Casinos. owned and operated by Indians/Native Americans. They employ thousands of people. They have theaters and stages and venues for big name entertainers who appear. The casinos and employees make good money. There is no crime or drugs involved---it is like an adult Disneyland. :-) There are no "gangs". They are located in the rural areas, no housing areas in the vicinity.
    It does not bother me AT ALL>
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:21 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• OP, I am in Oregon too.............is this a tribal casino? If so, the tax implications/regulations and stuff will be way different than if it was a privately owned operation.

I'll google and be back.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:27 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I am in portland oregon and I know fairview....and that honestly wouldnt help the area at all. Gangs, violence, and crimes have been more and more in the last view years in that area (gresham and troutdale). Where are they putting it exactly? I know I heard something about this but I cannot remember.
    Joeysmama012709

Answer by Joeysmama012709 at 11:53 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I fail to see the connection between casinos and gangs or poorly funded schools
    art.diva

Answer by art.diva at 1:49 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Gangs have nothing to do with casino's...lol. That is so funny! It would be GREAT for you city! Like somone else said, those mom & pop shops will be booming with customers. The casino would bring in great revenue & more people into your city. That = more money. There is no connection to gangs & poorly funded schools. Are you old fahsioned or something? Because the reasons you bring up, are extremely debatable & seem to come from an ignorant standpoint. I personally think it would be great for your community. I think you're just being a little over anal about it. Where my aunt lived in Conneticut, i remeber a huge casino went up near her town. I believe it's called Foxwoods? Anyhow, it did nothing but improve everything in that area & for her. It's still a nice mom & pop town, they just have more money & more customers now. My aunt's restaurant is now booming. If it wasn't for Foxwoods, she wouldn't be where she is today.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:31 AM on Oct. 4, 2010