if a mom doesnt like guy and daughter is in love with the same guy what can be done if that couple wants to get married?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• What do you mean? It's not like she can stop them....
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:43 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Nothing, if they are old enough to get married, there is nothing that can be done. The mother will just need to one, learn to deal with the guy for the sake of her daugther or two- stop talking to her. (which I wouldn't agree with.)

There comes a time in every child's life where the parents need to step back & let them go, we can't control our children & we sure the hell can't control who are children think they are in love with.

They need to be supportive of their child.....

& be there for them
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 9:45 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• If they're both legal adults, nothing. You must trust that you raised your DD to be an intelligent & reasonable adult who is capable of making decisions in her own best interest. We cannot expect our children to obey us forever and we must learn to let them make their own mistakes, no matter how much hurt we seeing coming their way.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:46 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• There really isn't anything she can do but love her D and make sure that she knows that you love her! Becases if the doesn't like the guy then one day the mother might need to be there for for D when it all comes to a end! But all in all the only ting she can really do is be there for her and pray for the best1
    morristownmommy

Answer by morristownmommy at 6:42 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Sorry, but if they are both legal adults - there is NOTHING you can do about it.
    You can voice your opinions, but remember that this is most likely to through them even closer together.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:48 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My mom didn't like my bf either, she didn't like him even more after I got pregnant, she didn't like him after I got pregnant again..than we got married...she still doesn't like him. But....she let me make my own choices. She was there through my pregnancies, and through our separation (mine and ex dh). She new that if she didn't support me, than she would of lost me. And I probably would still be in that awful relationship. My advice is support her, be there for her. Love her! You will have to let her go sometime, to let her live and make mistakes. just make sure your still there in her life.

reyreybella01

Answer by reyreybella01 at 10:36 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Nothing but offer her blessing and try to learn to love the man as well. It's the daughter's choice not the mother's.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 10:53 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Mom will just have to deal with it, because it's not her life. =-/
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 4:24 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• You love and support your daughter no matter what. *IF* he is not treating her the way he should, you can gently point out that men get more relaxed after marriage. *IF* the SO treats the fiancee poorly, it will only worsen after the marriage.
    I know that parents tend to see no one but themselves as good enough for their children.

However, you are the mom. You are a person that has taught your child the ways of the world and it's now your daughter's time to try things on her own. The only way to keep your daughter's confidence is to show her that your love for her is unconditional and nothing will ever change that.

Who knows? You may just come to realize that this young man has a genuine heart for your child and things will turn out better than you imagined.
    6girlsrock

Answer by 6girlsrock at 4:40 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Sometimes, we just have to take a step back & let them learn from their mistakes- We have spent the last 18 years doing everything we can to guide our kids to live a Happy & Successful life- All a Mom can do is be there for her daughter & Pray Alot :)
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 5:13 PM on Oct. 4, 2010