Hoaders???

I could never live my life being one . How about you?

Darla47

Asked by Darla47 at 9:46 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Home & Garden

• No after watching the show I really believe my grandparents were hoarders and after seeing their house as a child there is no way I could live like that.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:47 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I tend towards being a pack rat and I have to really fight to throw stuff away. But I also have anxiety and depression and these hoarders (in my opinion, anyway) are mentally ill people who need treatment, just like I do. It just seems like it's usually older people on fixed incomes who are not likely to go to a therapist. Very sad. I see those shows and I am thankful that I never beame that bad. But when I was very ill - my house was a mess, seriously gross. I sympathize with these people because I AM one, I think. I just found ways to fight it and got treatment when I was young.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 9:52 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I've watched a number of episodes and find it incredibly sad and disgusting that even when the children are removed from the home, that the hoarders STILL can't get it together and rebuff the assistance of the clean up crew and psychologists!

And even though I have a fairly clutter free home (I do have young children), and stay on top of cleaning, I still feel the need to clean more after watching an episode.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:52 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I agree with you!
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 9:53 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My heart goes out to them as the show is exposing their mental illness to the world.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 9:58 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Yeah, I save a lot of stuff, but I could never take it that far. Crazy
    DawnDietz777

Answer by DawnDietz777 at 12:46 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• It's just a sad situation.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 2:44 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Everyone says that "they couldn't be a hoarder" but it is a mental disorder. They need extreme help with therapy, medication, and organizers.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:31 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I couldn't either but, I'm a little pack rat everything I need is in reach.My house is clean I feel sad for hoarders. Spring time if I haven't use items I give it away or sale it. I don't like rats,mices and roaches I can't live with them and they can't live with me.
    TwannaB.

Answer by TwannaB. at 10:03 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I don't think it is a choice for these people, hence the show! So, I would not like it, but if this were a mental condition I was dealing with...then I guess the best I could do was get some help. I mean I don't think people really like living this way.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:24 AM on Oct. 4, 2010