Son playing with older children

My son is three and for the last few months has been playing with our seven year old neighbor boy and I was wondering if there is any advice on how to let them play together without putting to many restrictions on the older child. They play really well together, but I don't like letting Sean do a lot of the activities that are acceptable for a seven year old, but pretty unsafe for a three year old. I am always outside with them, but I don't like to hover over them.

amandajoy21

Asked by amandajoy21 at 9:47 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• It depends on what you are doing. Maybe neighbor boy has some common sense and if you ask him to help keep your son safe, he will. Just let him know your son can't do everything he can.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:13 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Like we just recently got our son a two wheeled bike and the neighbor boy was riding his bike over a ramp and my son wanted to try and jump the ramp too. I hate to tell the seven year old he can't play with his ramp just because we are outside and my son isn't coordinated enough to do that yet.
    amandajoy21

Comment by amandajoy21 (original poster) at 10:16 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I would just tell my little guy that he is not going off the jump he can watch but he cant do it till he is 7. Then if he didnt like that he can go inside. He will learn very quick what is more fun watching and riding his bike or being inside.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 9:39 AM on Oct. 4, 2010