Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

choking

My 12 month old son choked yesterday on a Sunchip and I panicked but he must have swallowed so he was fine. I did call 911 and the paramedics came. I have been stressing about it really bad. Like what if. I felt so bad and scared. Should I have took him to the hospital?

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

Answers (7)
  • there is no reason for yo uto have to take him to a hospital if he swalowed it. I know how scary the choking thing can be! You should look into taking a CPR class. Im sure it will make you feel so much more comfortable. I have taken CPR numerous times, and it doesnt change the nerve factor, but I do feel much more confident in that moment that I know what to do God Forbid my child was to choke. Definitely something to look into! =)
    Amanduhpanda

    Answer by Amanduhpanda at 10:04 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

  • If he is behaving normally then no, especially since the paramedics came out and examined him he should be fine.
    amandajoy21

    Answer by amandajoy21 at 10:04 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

  • For future refrences when your child chokes again, take him, and lay him on your forearm stomach to your arm, face down, and mid way down his back hit him and push up at the same time to try and dislodge whatever it is he is choking on. I know it is very scary, but I dont think you need to take him to the er if the paramedics said he is fine.
    anikahaynes1

    Answer by anikahaynes1 at 10:13 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

  • No I think you did the right thing calling 911. I'm sure he's fine. Just try to relax, which is hard as a mom. Maybe for your peace of mind in the future you could take a CPR class
    DawnDietz777

    Answer by DawnDietz777 at 12:43 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

  • my son started to choke on a tortilla small piece my husband froze and 1st thing came to mind was to put finger in mouth and i put my index finger in a hook position and it came right out, but im going to take cpr classes because that is scary feeling. i never wanna go through that again.
    Snavarro08

    Answer by Snavarro08 at 10:11 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

  • I know how you feel. Our daughter was eating slices of pickle and she started to choke. My DH had to get it out of her throat. Its very scary. I think you did the right thing and if he is acting normal, then I would say no on taking him to the hospital.
    Becca1189

    Answer by Becca1189 at 10:35 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

  • i think you're fine. but i do know how you feel. our son managed to get to a candle that had just come off the warmer and tried to drink it about 6 months ago. we freaked. called the paramedics and everything. it is crazy scary.
    Hollea

    Answer by Hollea at 2:21 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN