Computer question- transferring files from old to new computer

I have a PC that is no longer hooked up, and I want to get all my files from that PC into the PC we actually use. I'm trying to find out if there is any way to do this without paying loads of $.

The reason we stopped using the old PC is that it basically locked us out. We never set a password on it, but all the sudden it required one. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get in. I think they are both running Win XP,

StarrMom2Xander

Asked by StarrMom2Xander at 11:25 AM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Just for Fun

• Sorry but if you can't get on that computer, those files are gone. Unless you pay some computer guy to get them out for ya.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 11:42 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I used to work with The Geek Squad.......bring it to them....explain whats going on..and what you want to do. It might be as simple as just over riding the password. There might be a small charge to find out what is wrong with it.....and go from there.
    Make sure to explain UPFRONT that you do not want them to go ahead and do the work until you are informed of the problem and any charges to fix.
    jjessers

Answer by jjessers at 12:27 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• SO says: "Put the hard drive from the old computer as a second hard drive for the new computer and you should be able to access it, if it's an IDE drive don't forget the jumpers" (Whatever that means...lol he does data transfers for apple.. I have no idea what he's talking about :) )
    lillie023

Answer by lillie023 at 3:24 PM on Oct. 27, 2008