When should a child be fluent with her sippy cup and taking in liquid during the day?

My 11 month old can suck out of the sippy cups with the straw sometimes but takes in literally NO liquids during the day from her cups. She is still breastfed 4-6 times a day and eats 3 little snacks during the day while I eat.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 10:12 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Chances are that she won't take in much from them until she weans or unless someone else gives it to her.

Why drink from a cup if you can get it straight from the tap (so to speak, lol)
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:24 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• It's water from the cup, not breastmilk, which i suppose is mostly water anyways. Just wondering.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 10:25 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• As long as she is getting fluids somewhere(the breast)...no need to worry. She will drink from a cup once she finally stops the breast whenever that may be...even if she is 2,3 or older. Don't worry.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:26 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Thanks for asking this question. I have a 13-month-old who is very much like your daughter.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:36 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I just recently introduced the sipppy to my daughter almost 7 months old. And she loves it. She is still on cereal I strated her a little late. But I let her drink from it when she has the cereal and about an oz or so as a snack she hold the handles and can do it all on her own. Ull kno when she's ready for it. I personally would wait to to wau can google it. There r risks with a young baby. And diluted apple juice is ok I think if she has has at least apple baby food. I recently lookd all of this up.
    panda31610

Answer by panda31610 at 1:08 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My 18 mo old hardly takes fluids from a cup, he mostly nurses. No biggie, there's no need for them to get fluids from a cup when there is a breast available! They will take more when they are ready.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:02 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My 14 month old barely drinks anything from a cup. She won't touch it if I give her water. Juice she'll sip at a bit but not much. You want them CAPABLE of drinking from a cup by a year if possible. But it's not necessary for them to do it on a regular basis if they're getting enough fluids from the breast. And 4-6 times a day, I'd say guaranteed she's getting plenty.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:17 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• some breastfed children never use a sippy and can easily go from breast to regular cup it may just require a bit more supervison and work on your end
    are you only using straw cups or have you also tried soft spout sippy cups? my 3 year old did great with this type of cup (he was breastfed til 14 months)
    http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=165750&catid=154451&aid=337953&aparam=nuk_first_choice_learner&CAWELAID=61281225
    Riosmommy

Answer by Riosmommy at 1:18 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My eight month old is off bottles and on sole sippys now. Although, she wasn't breastfed and we had to be off bottles in order for her next surgery to happen. So I'm not sure what the "right" answer is, or if there is one. I think your DD is just fine :)
    lu_n_libs_mama

Answer by lu_n_libs_mama at 7:26 PM on Oct. 8, 2010