Relationships with older children

How do you get closer to your older children my daughter is 27 and always running around or busy with her friends, how can I make a better connection with her. She is very moody and it is hard sometimes to be around her, but I want to be there for her.

Momabear455

Asked by Momabear455 at 10:13 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• I have daily contact with mine, keep up with whatever is going on, and let them know that I am always there for them no matter what the situation. I climb those walls they sometimes put up, I never give up, I am relentless and they know it, all I need to know is that they are happy in their life, and that everything is smooth sailing.

Answer by older at 2:42 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Is she distant from you because you've pushed her away b/c of her moodiness? I am only 24 but I feel very disconnected from my parents because when i try to talk to them about personal things that i want some insight on, they blow me off, tell me im over reacting, joke about it, wont respond to me, etc.

I would try to start having a better connection with her by just talking to her and not being judgemental when you. Good luck.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 10:16 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Reach out to her. Take the extra step. My daughter died at 27 and I can't get her back. I can't undo anything.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:25 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• my daughter is 21yrs old took alife time for me and her to get where we are today i do not judge her no matter what ,the colour of her hair has been rainbow and still nothing has frizzy me out her tatoo does not ,oh yes we had som great fights but it has made me stronger and best time i leave her alone when she has period .but she my bf and bd ,find out what your daughter is into ,go shopping,or out to dinner talk to her as she is your friend ,or have sleep over ask dad to leave for the night , ask her for some help and you know she would be there for you that is what daughter will do for their mom's ,oh yes mom we have mood swings to so if you handle yours you can handle her's and good luck
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 10:52 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• A few ideas...start with something small - send a card - take her to lunch - find out if there is an activity both of you can do together -
    Include her friends so she knows you don't hate them...
    tortkey

Answer by tortkey at 2:30 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Limit your contact to one specified time and day. If you live near her - take her to lunch on Sunday afternoon. If you don't live near her, call her Sunday afternoons.
    Remember that she's now living her own adult life. Think back to when you were her age. Let her be the one that leads your conversations, don't judge her, when she gets moody and isn't being very nice, cut the conversation short rather than let it get to you.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:47 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Make her feel accepted...
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:33 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• aww, try to be her friend, NOT her mother
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 2:42 AM on Oct. 4, 2010