My 9th grader doesn't want my husband and i to open his report card!

I need advice really bad! My 9th grade son doesn't want my husband and i to open up his report card even though the mail on it says: To the parents of with our sons name on it! My son gets really angry when i open up his report card! This is becasue he thinks that it is his mail and it has his name on it! He does get good grades though! He and i made an agreement when he was in jr. high that i would not open his report card unitl his dad got home! Now he is in high school and i forgot his and my agreement! I told my husband that this is stupid! having to be told from a 9th grader what not to do!

iamjenny1957

Asked by iamjenny1957 at 11:26 AM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• It is pretty stupid. He's probably embarrassed by a bad grade or he's nervous about what you'll say. Tell your son that you made an agreement and that you want to stick by it. If he absolutely refuses to listen to you...I say let him open it in front of you and read it, but then give it to you right after so you know he won't tear it up or anything. He knows that you'll have to see it eventually.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:29 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Too damn bad!! Open it! He is under 18 and lives in YOUR home. So technically its not his especially since it is addressed to you! He shouldnt have any say in it at all!!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 11:29 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• You have every right to open your son's report card. Try not to let him get to you =) Keep your head up mama!
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 11:37 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• He doesn't want you to????? What the heck, you are the parent, take the darn thing away and open it... You have to show him who is boss.. If not, he will walk all over him.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:38 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Who's the parent here? It has your address, it's your home and he's a minor. I'd tell him ...tough! He doesn't make the rules and you can change any past agreements if you want to because YOU ARE THE PARENT! My son is 17 and he does get his own mail. He gets College and Military info along with his bank statement. I do not open his mail because I choose not to out of courtesy but if I want to I WILL! I do open any correspondence from the school even though it's address to us both of us. He's never complained but if he did I'd say, like my parents said to me, MY HOUSE, MY RULES! period!!
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 11:44 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I have a boy who is a freshman and let me reassure you that he is just trying to assert his independence. Ultimately, it is your home that he lives in and it is mail addressed to you but I would ask him if there is any other reasons why he doesn't want YOU to open it.
    Good luck! These teenage boys and their moods are not fun.
    Dewdlemom

Answer by Dewdlemom at 11:45 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• You are the parent, it's addressed to you. Who cares if your son gets upset...he's the child, you're the mother. Seriously, if he's only a freshman and you're letting him boss you around, you're in for some seriously disrespectful highschool years. You need to remind him who's the parents in your house.
    kittynala

Answer by kittynala at 12:23 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Sounds like your 9th grader is the boss in your house. Forget the agreement and tell your son that you're the boss and it's his responsibility to get good grades, if he doesn't get them, then he's grounded. But you ARE opening his report card whenever you see fit too.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 12:47 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I agree it sounds like he runs the house. You are his parents and if the mail comes to The Parents Of ....., then it is really addressed to you.

I would open it.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 1:03 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Sit down together, let him open it and look at it and then give it to you. That way he's opening his report card but you're still there to make sure it's not because he's trying to "destroy evidence". ; ) good luck
    cskomk0106

Answer by cskomk0106 at 1:07 PM on Oct. 24, 2008