Is there such a thing as too many bananas?

My 14 month old loves bananas. He will eat them all day long if I let him. Yesterday he had 4 throughout the day and today he's had 2 so far and it's only 10:40. I don't want to sound stupid, but I know of foods that if you eat them too much you could get sick. Is it ok for him to have LOTS of bananas? Or should I stop them after he's had a couple?

Mom2Dano

Asked by Mom2Dano at 11:44 AM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Food & Drink

• yes too many bananas can cause hyperkalema, that will cause an irregular heart beat. the heart needs potassium but too much or too little can cause damage. Ask your ped the daily recommend amout and stick to that.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:32 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Bananas can really bind you up big time. If he is tolerating them then dont worry. But they can be a little too much for anybodys digestive system.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 11:46 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Yeah, they can do a number on your digestive system if you eat too many. I don't know if there's such a thing as too much potassium (the big vitamin in bananas), you could probably google that and look it up. I think if he eats a lot of bananas one day but eats none the next, he'll be fine. As long as he's not eating like four every single day, yanno? =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:49 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Thanks
    Mom2Dano

Answer by Mom2Dano at 11:58 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I eat one banana and cant poop for a week lol!
    Anonymous

• My son loves them too! I usually give him one a day (he's a year old) Sometimes 1 1/2. He'd eat them all day if that's all I gave him too. We've always called him our little monkey, but he's really living up to his name!

He just had his first b-day and I made a monkey cake. (Devils food with banana and pudding layers) for the guests and for his personal messy cake I actually pieced together a cake banana. It looked pretty real!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 1:32 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• LOL. When my son was about 2 we took him to England to visit with my family. Every new house we went to we took a bunch of bananas. They would say "why are you bringing bananas? We have bananas." We'd reply "not any more."
    We eventually resorted to putting them on top of the fridge or he'd eat the whole bunch all at once. He's 15 now and still loves them.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 4:42 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• My son is two and he LOVES bananas I used to buy them twice a week at the market now I get them every other time because he eats a whole stack (5-6) in two days TOPS! and most people it makes them bined up but not him he has no problem so I dont mind. Now I alternate banans every other shopping trip and grapes or apples on the opposite time.
    KBSSJ5

Answer by KBSSJ5 at 9:30 PM on Oct. 24, 2008