to spank or not to spank

just wondering what people think

Paigesmommy78

Asked by Paigesmommy78 at 10:36 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Spank. It teaches a child to fear your wrath not to fear you. I don't fear God, but I fear the wrath of God. It is not counterproductive. If done consistently early on, then there is less likely the need for punishment later. My kids know that if I get to 3, then there's a whooping coming. If we are out in public & they know when they are pushing their limits, I simply hold up my fingers. By the second finger they have stopped.

Spanking causes a little physical pain, not emotional. It's basic psychology. Pair an unpleasant result with an act that feels good. For example a 2 year old throws toys at the wall & giggles. you spank the butt. Soon the child will learn that even though it may be fun to throw toys, my butt will hurt. So maybe I won't throw toys. You can try to reason with 2 year old, but that only works on the rare child.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:54 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• spanker here. my dd very rarely needs to be spanked but sometimes she does and i do..
    mayo9mommy

Answer by mayo9mommy at 10:39 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I agree with the first 3.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:41 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Depends on the child and the situation. I don't think it's appropriate discipline for every little indiscretion, and it's not effective with all chidlren. But if it works for the family in question, then that's great.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:55 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• spank
    Sherry H.

Answer by Sherry H. at 10:56 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I spank.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 10:58 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Not to spank. I believe it creates resentment in the child towards the parents. Creates a counterproductive view on punishment and how to handle situations with their peers. It shows children violence first hand. And certainly not least, but last .. It also harms the child and causes pain. What parent would willingly cause harm upon their children?
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:05 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• To spank.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:37 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I'm a proud spanker... My children rarely need it, but when they do, they get it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:37 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Spank.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:43 PM on Oct. 3, 2010