Would you support a civil gay marriage law?

I know gay marriage is a touchy subject. Hwever, an answer in another section got me thinking. If there was a federal law written that stated gays could be married by Justice's of the Peace and by any church that would so choose, but they could not force a church to perform the wedding, would you support it? Why or why not?
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 10:50 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Yes, I would support it. Denying them the right to be married ony benefits the government and insurance companies anyway.

Why shouldn't they have the right to marry?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:53 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I support the gay culture 100%. I think the Don't Ask Don't Tell project is AMAZING. If somebody fights for your country, it doesn't matter if they're straight/gay-they might lose their life for YOU. God DOESN'T hate based on sexuality...he doesn't hate at all. (I know I went a little off subject-but it's all the same)
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 10:54 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I would support them. It is their choice on who they choose to marry.
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 10:55 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Of course I would support it. I can't think of any valid reasons why same sex couples should be denied the right to enter in to a legal partnership like marriage.
    Linds2Horse

Answer by Linds2Horse at 10:56 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I would support any law that allows gay marriage. I fully believe that being gay is not a choice, it's the way you are born, and they should be given the same rights as any other human being. And I fully believe that you can't help who you fall in love with (granted you can help who you marry), but you love who you love and it's not up to me to decide if a man loves and man or a woman and/or if a woman loves and man or a woman and/or if they want to marry that person.

And I HATE the conclusion that people jump to in saying that if you allow this then next people are going to want to marry their dogs because they love them...there's a HUGE difference in a human being and a dog...
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 10:57 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Yes, I would support that.
    Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 10:59 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• full marriage, just like straight couples, who also cannot compel a church to marry them against its will or beliefs.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 11:03 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Chello.o...you might want to read up on the Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy. It may not be what you are thinking. They aren't allowed to ask but if you tell, you can be dismissed. It doesn't mean that they don't care if you are gay or not.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:03 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• of course! my only problem has only been the legal issue against churches who refused, due to their doctrinal belief.
    gay marriage doesn't bother me anymore than seeing my dog eat deer poop in my front yard. (well, actually, THAT is gross..) like everyone says about first amendment rights...why should one have rights, but the other's is ended in favor of the first group?
    there are tons of ways a gay couple can be married/united/etc..don't have a freakin' legal cow JUST TO PROVE YOU CAN with a church who doesn't agree with it. there's plenty of churches who will...
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:04 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Of course... That's exactly what most people want. I mean, I'm not Catholic, so I can't get married in a Catholic church, I wouldn't want laws that force the church to marry me... Now, by that same reasoning, I wouldn't want a law in place that forced a church to marry someone who isn't living by their rules - it's the same idea... Churches should in no way ever be forced to accept marry anyone - BUT, they should have the option to do so if they please, and legal or civil marriages shouldn't have the ability to discriminate based on sexuality or gender (including same gender)

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:05 PM on Oct. 3, 2010