Any suggestions?

I'm 32 weeks preg, due Dec. 17th and am working full time (3 12-hour shifts a week.) I plan on taking the full 12 weeks off after the baby, but REALLY don't want to return to work at all, especially FULL TIME. My SO and I pay almost a $1000 a month for our apt, and got a bigger vehicle a few months ago, and can't afford to live off his income alone. Any suggestions?

K_Coleman

Asked by K_Coleman at 11:49 AM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Money & Work

• I waitress a few nights a week. Its nice because i get to be out of the house and around adults, but also nice because i still get to spend my days with my son. I work at a place with good tips, so the money does add up and helps pay the bills (but there aren't any benefits and with the economy as it is, tips can be unreliable). Just one suggestion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Sell the car and get a cheaper one. Get a cheaper apartment.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 11:53 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Work at home! Get a home business started:)
    sassyhettel

Answer by sassyhettel at 11:58 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Ignore "feesharose." You and I both know that it's waaaay easier said than done (especially up in MI where the economy SUCKS) to just "go get a cheaper car/apartment." Not to mention that if you DO try to sell the car, you'd lose your ass right now. :p I think the first answer's right; go waitress a couple nights a week. I'm planning on doing the dame thing, actually.
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 12:00 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• You can always start to work from home. Check out my profile I have more information in there. Let me know if you have any questions!
    SaferAtHome

Answer by SaferAtHome at 12:10 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I can help you get a home business up and running before your baby is here... Then once he/she is here you can work around their schedule. You'd be able to stay home and make an income... My kids are 15months and 29 months and I do it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:10 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Is there anyway you can go back part-time?

I know it is not ideal to have to go back to work, but I really enjoyed it when I worked part-time. I am back to full-time hours now as I no longer had the option to work part-time.

A home business is a good idea too. I am working one as well so that I can eventually make the switch to just working at home.

Let me know if you have any questions.

AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 1:10 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• You work in helathcare? I did three or four 12 hour shift at a hospital before I had my daughter. Now, I am a SAHM, I am going to school for medical transcription. It will def help pay the bills, and I can work while my daughter is sleeping.
    smzuzu

Answer by smzuzu at 2:55 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I have my own business with Gold Canyon Candles and I am a SAHM!! Right now they have a special going on for only $99 to sign up till the end of Oct. I would love to share more with you. People love candles and ours sell themselves!
    Tarabon

Answer by Tarabon at 3:52 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Consider a home based business, and if you want to make money right away, you need to be in one that is in the 2 largest emerging industries...wellness and network marketing. With this economy, no one is spending their money on makeup, tupperware or candles...people these days are into their health and want to earn extra income and fast. The business I am in has been in biz for 3.5 years and has been featured in SUCCESS FROM HOME magazine 3 times in the ENTIRE issues...this is the first co. to reach its first billion dollars in just 3 years...first in the history of the US. it took microsoft 7 years. This is still a ground floor opportunity as less than 1% of the US has heard of it.. a great opportunity is one when not too many people know about it. I would love to share what i do from home around my kids schedules and make really GREAT money. I hope to hear from you soon.

BusinessMom123

Answer by BusinessMom123 at 5:17 PM on Oct. 24, 2008