Do you think that anyone has a right to SUGGEST a name without being asked?

... its already been said three times that the name is set, not changing yet another email came from my Partners sister with suggestions and asking us to change or pick another name.

AugustMidge

Asked by AugustMidge at 11:02 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Baby Names

• When I just read the beginning of the question, I thought "Sure, someone could just throw a name out there." The more I read, I just started shaking my head, lol. If you've told everyone you have a name SET, it's the end of discussion. Also, if it's not your child, you don't tell people to pick your name...tell her if she wants a child named that so badly, she can have one herself and name him/her that!
    kamsmommy17

Answer by kamsmommy17 at 11:19 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Just ignore it. Choose your own name. They will give it up eventually. It is not worth a fight about it.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:05 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Why not just "take the blame" ? ... as in, "Oh, I'm so sorry! I must have forgot to tell you! The baby's name is _________"! They'll get the message and you've handled it gracefully.
    Anonymous

• I do think that they have the "right" to suggest, but you also have the right to accept, reject, ignore, etc...... Freedom of speech. Stick to your guns though! We had several strong suggestions and I'm so happy that we went with our original names :o)
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 11:05 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I like odd names and people can be really rude when I tell them names we have in mind. I have quit telling people and I just say that everyone tells me they don't like what we have and they always seem to have better names. I just ignore suggestions. My husband and I are the one who are in charge of this operation so I don't give a damn what others want us to name our kids. Tell her to put the name on her list for when she has a baby..... in other words, stuff it lady!
    Sonnyswife

Answer by Sonnyswife at 11:21 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• If you've already stated "this is the name and we're not changing it" then I would find that to be very annoying. But if you haven't picked yet, I wouldn't mind. I was chatting with a friend from work a couple of weeks ago about whether or not I could be pregnant (find out tomorrow) and she said "well, Carol is an excellent name for a girl" i told her I already have a girls name set, and she said "well, the male version is Carroll." It was all in fun!
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 11:29 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I hate how people think it's ok to give parents tons of opinions on the names they are considering. When my sister was between two names, my grandmother told her that Emma is a "fat farm girl name". Imagine how my niece Emma will feel if she ever finds out that her great grandmother thinks that! Both times I was pregnant, we told people we had already picked a name, and they would find out after the baby was born. It *usually* shut them down (except for my father), and we put up a sign at the hospital "Welcome Jacob Cole" and then "Welcome Kyle Bradley" and our family found out their names when they came to visit the baby for the first time. It would take some extra big balls to criticize a baby's name after the birth certificate has been signed!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:46 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Why don't you email her back asking her" Havent we told you what we are naming him/her?", ugh i hated when my brother& his wife would come up & tell me names they thought were perfect for my ds, yet if the name was so perfect why didnt they name their ds that name.they had a son 3 years after i had mine?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• YOU are the parents, YOU pick the name, end of discussion. NO ONE has the right to tell you what to name your child, NO ONE. It is between you and the father/co parent.

Amelia512: I would have "trained" my child to answer to ONLY HIS NAME. Oh wait, I did that. My son's name is Tyler and my family insisted on calling him TyTy. Yeap, didn't last long, once he started talking he told them, "MY NAME IS TYLER." From about 1 on he didn't react to TyTy.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:51 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Treat it as such, an opinion.
    dmelyoung

Answer by dmelyoung at 9:11 AM on Oct. 4, 2010