What is your best packing tip for me?

I am in the middle of a complicated move. I need help to stay organized and still have a few things we need every day. Any advice or tips?

NkugbaMama

Asked by NkugbaMama at 11:13 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Label - Label - Label ...not only WHAT is in the box, but WHERE the box should be unpacked. You can even take a digital photo of the contents and print it out to attach to the front of the box. Don't put too much in a box - you have to lift them all. When packing the truck - put the children's rooms on last so they are first to be unpacked.
    Good luck!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:29 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• what I have done is pack/stack all items that are not being used... closets... basement items... Holiday items... old or seasonal
    clothing....all non using items in bathrooms and kitchen... same for all bedrooms and exp toys...keep toys in toy boxes easier to move
    also when moving dressers just remove the drawers with things inside... just cover top of them with a pillow case...
    For items still being used... keep enough boxes available to pack them in the night before your actual move....LABEL ALL boxes to what
    room they go into .... also when packing a moving truck, put all non important boxes ie closets/basement/Holiday etc... items in first they will be the last out... put things that you are using or will need to start living in your new place in last, they will be the first out and set all bedrooms up first.... tv's. computers, plants, valuable breakables need to ride in a private car/van, along with any pets...
    GL
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:52 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Labeling. And I'd keep a list of what boxes have what in them (consider numbering the boxes). Pack starting with things you won't use like twinsplus2more suggested so that the first stuff unpacked is what you need immediately.

And invest in packing paper for your breakables. It was so worth it.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 8:55 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• You should pack your everyday items in containers and everything else you don't need in boxes with lables. That way you'll have everything you need in reach. Good Luck moving.
    TwannaB.

Answer by TwannaB. at 9:56 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I've told my clients to have a few garage sales before you move. It not only downsizes your move, but gives you some extra cash for moving expenses. We even got our kids involved and asked them to donate toys they didn't play with anymore.
    suesellshouses

Answer by suesellshouses at 12:19 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Thank you for the help! The packing is going well. Everything is getting packed up very quickly. We put a bid in on a house and are waiting to see if we are accepted. Not sure if we will be moving within town though (the house we want) or 40 mins south of town in our rental property. We just wait and see now. Thanks again.
    NkugbaMama

Comment by NkugbaMama (original poster) at 8:25 AM on Oct. 6, 2010