Sex before marriage?

Why is it that people can't just wait until they are married to engage in sex. My husband and I waited and it was a beautiful experience. If people would just wait we would eliminate many of the issues that we face today. Issues such as teen pregnancy, STD's, the need for an abortion.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• *sigh* This will cause so many problems.

I didn't wait because I DIDN'T WANT TO! Plain and simple. And just so you're aware...I'm not a teen mother, neither my boyfriend or me have ANY STDs, and we did NOT need an abortion just because I "got pregnant out of wedlock". The first time I slept with him was no more beautiful than if we would've been married. Everyone has the right to decide for themselves. Good for you and your husband for waiting...but I'm no less of a woman and no less of a good person because I didn't wait.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:58 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• May I remind you Anon: Not all sexual experiences are a choice.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 11:58 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• That belief is purely religious, so what is the incentive for non-Christian teens? I personally wish I would have waited, and I am a Christian, but in today's society many are not religious. And there is much greater pressure on teens to have sex than in past generations, because it has just become the norm.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 11:59 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I agree with you i am only 20 but we waited to have sex til we were married i think its the way you are supposed to do it, but people have their own opinions!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I agree with you. But it's a personal choice. I personally believe there are many reasons for it, but the biggest is the parents. I know I'll get crucified for this, but it's how I feel. I think that if parents educate their children from very early on that sex is something between a man and a woman when they get married, they will wait longer. My son is 14 and agrees with us that he doesn't need a girlfriend yet. And I know some of you will say, yeah he doesn't have one that you know about. But the kid is with me everyday right after he gets off the bus. No girls call my house, only the boys. So if he has a girlfriend, I'm fine with it, cuz he never sees her unless it's at school.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 11:59 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I've often felt that the world would be a much better place if everyone were exactly like me, did exactly what I wished they'd do and behaved only in the ways I permitted them to behave.

Then I wake up. :)
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 12:06 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Thank you for that bit of reality Avarah.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 12:09 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I agree with Cait. This is my *personal* opinion. I think its about discretion, choosing your partners carefully, I have never slept with anyone I didn't love - my shortest relationship was over two years. I've had a whopping three sexual partners -- married twice. I have no STDs, never have. I don't regret any of my choices. My first pregnancy was at 26. I don't regret that I didn't wait for marriage. I did things as things felt right to me. When I raise my daughter I won't tell her to abstain, but I will try to explain the bond and satisfaction I feel when its a loving relationship.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 12:17 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Well, these aren't just things we face today. These issues have been with us throughout history. Teen pregnancy is one of the reasons people used to get married at 14, 15, 16 years old - we knew kids couldn't or wouldn't wait so we married them off to make it OK. Even if we wanted to, we couldn't go back to that. We need too much education now, our "childhoods" are much longer. Dreaming of the "simpler" days is nice but you have to remember that they weren't simpler, just different. Our vision of times past is not accurate.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:32 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Sex is a big part of marriage in my opinion and how would you know if you're not sexually compatible if you don't do the deed before marriage??? Just like we lived together for some time before getting married because could you imagine the shock of just moving in after getting married and it being like you didn't even know the guy??? You never really know someone unless you're part of his home before taking the plunge. Again, just my opinion.
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 12:35 PM on Oct. 24, 2008