If someone is in prison for something which is no longger a crime...

Should they have to finish their sentence or should they be let out?

I mean, when they committed the crime, it was illegal, so it was right for them to go to prison, but if it isn't illegal any more, why keep them there? Why waste the tax payer money to keep them there?

What are your thoughts?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:17 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Let them go.. there are too many jails/prisons that are overcrowded..
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 11:18 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• They did something wrong, whether it isn't considered wrong anymore isn't the issue. They should, in my opinion serve the time sentenced. They still broke a law!
    AugustMidge

Answer by AugustMidge at 11:21 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• What was the crime? That would make a big difference to me.
    jblueeyes228

Answer by jblueeyes228 at 11:23 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• It would depend on the crime.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:23 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Depends on the severity of the crime. If it was something petty, let them out.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:29 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• First and foremost, I would agree that it depends on the crime, but I would think that it wasn't that heinous if it's no longer illegal, so let them out...they did time for the crime while it was a crime
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 11:33 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Welllll......are you thinking about being jailed for smoking,owning or selling pot? Because if pot is made legal soon, are you thinking that this person should be released?
    I have no idea.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:36 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• In my opinion, law does not always determine right from wrong. A person could break the law while standing up for what they believe in. If lawmakers decided that the law was worth changing, then the person should be considered "right all along" and set free.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 11:38 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• If it's no longer illegal, that would generally rule out anything that is violent or "heinous" in any way...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:41 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• And no, I wasn't thinking of any certain thing... Although the pot thing has come up a few times in the past with this conversation... It's just a general question... Nothing I'm dealing with, just one of those things that gets in my head when I'm bored...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:43 PM on Oct. 3, 2010