How do i teach my babies to go to the bathroom ?

My babies are 2 years old and everybody says to me that i gotta teach them how to go to bathroom , but the thing is that i dont know how , help me please !!!!!! im nubbie

twinmommy177

Asked by twinmommy177 at 11:18 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Are they showing an interest? My kids surely weren't ready at 2... If they aren't ready, you're fighting an uphill battle. But it's easy to at least start... Take them to the potty every hour, let them sit there for a few mins, and when they go, make a HUGE deal out of it... If they don't, no big deal, just keep it up. They will get it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:20 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• The average age of potty training is 4.

Are they showing signs? Wanting to go to the potty, wanting to be changed after wetting or pooping a diaper, telling you that they need to go, showing interest in going to the bathroom? If they aren't showing any of these signs, they aren't ready.

Since they are twins (I think), When 1 starts showing interest, the other may or may not show it too. Keep the training seperate unless they are both showing interest.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:21 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I didn't. I waited until they sorted it out themselves. Seemed... lazier.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:23 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• One of them when he is poopy he takes me to the bathroom but i dont know if its to bath him or what
    twinmommy177

Comment by twinmommy177 (original poster) at 11:26 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• We practice natural infant hygiene aka elimination communication. Our DD is 4 months old.

We let her play diaper free for several hours a day. We put diapers on her at night and in bed and when we are out. She usually wakes up from naps dry and I just sit her on the potty and she goes. When she is diaper free, I sit her on the ptty evere so often and she goes. Sometimes I miss and she pees on her play mat. It's just laundry.

There are groups here that follow EC very well full time.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:32 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I did a lot of demonstrations with her, and leg her try all the time...but I never pushed her. And we read potty books and watched potty DVDs. And at 2 1/2, it finally clicked and she said she wanted to be a big girl. She hasn't worn a diaper since.
    art.diva

Answer by art.diva at 2:00 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I think you have to relax about it. If you have a lot of anxiety in either direction (excitement is still anxiety), it will make them anxious too and they won't see pottying as normal. So first, get little potties and let them sit around in the room you are in the post (or a nearby room, if you have carpet you care about and tile in the kitchen or bathroom is a short sprint away). Just have it there for a while, don't make them sit on it. Let them see you go potty on your big potty and tell them that is why they have a little potty. If they sit down on it with pants on, take their pants down. The easiest way is to let them be nakey-bottomed while they are learning, but depending on your flooring, that may not be possible. But, if you can let them be nakey, you will start to see the signs that they are about to go, and you can (CALMLY) just place them on the potty. Help them stay there long enough for a poo with books or toys.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 2:05 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• cont.- Don't freak out over misses, or you will add anxiety and bad feelings to the whole experience. If you treat sitting on the potty as normal for them, they will see it as normal.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 2:06 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Leave the bathroom door open so they can see you. Put a potty out but dont expect them to use it. Just let them sit on it. Then when you change them you talk about the fact that it is uncomfortable to be poopie or wet. I never did any formal potty lessons But they have all been going on the potty since they we 3. My twins were 3 1/2.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 9:27 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Ecodani-ever heard of the Pearls?
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:16 AM on Oct. 4, 2010