What are some great homemade gift ideas?

We have some family doing just homemade Christmas gifts this year and thought that was a great idea. Anyway have some great ideas?

NkugbaMama

Asked by NkugbaMama at 11:18 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I just canned 2 dozen 1/2cup size jars of pear mincemeat because of a huge order of pears I got from a friend... all ripe at once, obviously. I plan to give them away with a selection of other things (jar of mincemeat, small handmade book, selection of homemade greeting cards, a christmas ornament... I dunno, depends on what I find)

Personalized christmas ornaments are nice. I've sent personalized calendars and coffee mugs to grandparents who like pics of the kids...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:21 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Baked goods, jams, jellies, jar mixes are always a great idea, unless you have people in your family with special dietary needs. I make hair clippies for the little girls in the family...they are always a hit!! What about stationary, paper products? Jewelry?

Are you trying to keep costs down or is the idea to just make something and be creative?
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 11:22 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I bake goodies.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:23 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• A few years ago I recieved a quart mason jar filled with beans and spices and such, attatched to the jar was the recipe for how to make the soup. They had cut gingham and tied it over the lid. It really was a unique gift. We loved the soup btw. Not only were we given a meal..but a new recipe and a new Idea. I did the same thing for members of my family the next chrsitmas.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:28 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• How about hot chocolate baskets... mugs, cocoa and some mini marshmallows
    Movie basket, popcorn, movies or movie gift card... with some movie candy...
    I have done cookie baskets... bakes about 500 cookies and divided up among baskets to give
    to family... most likely doing that this yr but with more cookies...also fresh canned items, breads
    or a bakers basket are good ideas too...
    sports baskets... some items related to whatever sports...
    spa baskets, bath oils/beads, soaps, hair products etc....
    Crafty baskets, if you have sewers, knitters etc... yarns, patterns, needles, etc....
    Most of these items can be found fairly cheap at discount stores, dollar stores (my favorite for bulk items)
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:03 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Cookie Mix in a Jar gifts- there are tons of ideas here

http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/christmas/gifts/cookie-mixes.htm
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 6:14 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Gift baskets, dessert (or soup) in a jar, candles, soaps, if you are crafty and know the recipients tastes pretty well you can paint or stamp or otherwise make them a picture and frame it. One thing a friend has done (and it's really too late for this year but you can set it up for next year) was to make her own Vanilla extract, put it in cute bottles and give that, along with a plate of cookies and a few recipes that include vanilla. It's a fairly simple process but it takes at least 6 months for it to be strong enough to use.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 12:24 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• rice bags, homemade hot cocoa mix, brownie in a jar mix, soup in a jar mix, homemade air fresheners. There is a group on here DIY Tutus that has a bunch of amazing ideas for dfiferent crafts and such.
    Monica84

Answer by Monica84 at 2:51 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• i made friendship jars, family jars, etc--i took a glass jar (canning jar or other) decorated it with a theme--then filled it with a little candy--and put sayings in it--if it was family (quotes, scriptures, etc on family; or i put in a little question that could be pulled each day/week thta they family could discuss at dinner); teachers (i put in a question a day they could ask the kids); could do a chore one; prayer jar, whatever fits the situation or person you are sendin gtoo
    jdmyangel

Answer by jdmyangel at 11:34 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I love mixes in jars for some reason. Depending on your craft skill there are lots of homemade things you could make. yummy treats, gift baskets, blankets, candles, soaps, crayon rolls for the kids, cryaons, silly putty, playdough, hmm the list really goes on. Or you could just visit my etsy shop and buy some great gifts. lol But seriously if you search something like handmade holiday gifts your sure to find some great ideas.
    babemakes4

Answer by babemakes4 at 5:32 PM on Oct. 5, 2010