Polygamist question

Sister Wives sparked this question tonight:

Isn't it a cmmandment to not lust after women? And wouldn't this be considered adultry to be kissing another women who they are not married to? Soooooo, techinically I don't see how they go about this when it is breaking basic commandments.

Mipsy

Asked by Mipsy at 11:35 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Lust isn't acceptable even within the confines of a 'standard' marriage.... so marriage has nothing to do with the issue. Lust isn't a commandment, it's a deadly sin.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:15 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• People in the bible had more than one wife all the time, so apparently they didn't find being with more than one woman wrong, as long as you were married. From what I understand about the polygamists these days is that only one wife in legal, but the other wives they have been married to in the church, so though they may not be recognized as married by the law, they are recognized as being married in the church/spiritually, which is what really matters to them anyway. If I understand it correctly

Mamacsb

Answer by Mamacsb at 3:21 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Well the third wife brought up the issue when she got really upset about the husband kissing the new fiance when he proposed to her. The third wife said they didn't kiss until they were married. So technically he shouldn't be doing that. But yes, I think it is sick that he is out there taking another woman on dates and kissing her when he has wives and kids at home. To me it seems like a justification for men who just want to sleep with a different woman every night. Even if the justification dates back to the days of the dudes that wrote the Book of Mormon. Men are just horny pervs lol
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 5:58 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Jesus did say that whoever looks at another with lust has already committed adultery in his (her) heart. I'm Catholic and it is okay for us to kiss a person of the opposite sex that we are dating or engaged to; it is not lust. Lust is when we look at another person as an object; we think of what that person can do for us (ie. sexual gratification).

I do think you are on the right track, though. If a man is already married, he should not be dating or pursuing another woman to marry, because that is adultery. He is committing adultery by being married more than once.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 9:46 PM on Oct. 4, 2010