Polygamist question

Sister Wives sparked this question tonight:

Isn't it a cmmandment to not lust after women? And wouldn't this be considered adultry to be kissing another women who they are not married to? Soooooo, techinically I don't see how they go about this when it is breaking basic commandments.

Mipsy

Asked by Mipsy at 11:36 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Religious Debate

• But they are married to these other women... So how are they breaking that commandment? When the commandments were laid down, polygamy was not only permitted but was the norm...

Also, you forget that not everyone who has or wants a poly-marriage is Christian or Jewish or under the commandments in the first place...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:38 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I agree with you. I don't understand the religious aspect of it, or any aspect of it for that matter. It seems to me that you would start to favor 1 of the wives over the others...I mean I just don't see someone being able to romantically love numerous people equally. I don't even understand how any of these women can sit there and say they don't mind that their husband has 3 other wives and that she doesn't care that he has sex with them. Seems like its all some weird fetish or something.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:40 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• True they may not be Jewish or Christian, but in regards to the show Sister Wives, isn't courting another lady like lusting after another women?
    Mipsy

Comment by Mipsy (original poster) at 11:41 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• But they are married to these other women... So how are they breaking that commandment?

I think she means when he was married to 1 or 2 wives and was in the early dating stages before he married the other wife/wives.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:42 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• isn't courting another lady like lusting after another women?

The 10 commandments don't say "Don't LUST", they say "Do not covet your neighbor's wife" and "Do not commit adultery." Neither of these are violated by dating someone who is not married and whom you are not having sex with until marriage. As long as they are waiting until after they are married to have sex and one party is unmarried, they aren't breaking either of these. If the marriage is polygamous in nature, then both parties in the marriage know what is what, and usually won't consider dating an additional woman as adultery or coveting, because they are actually dating rather than simply wanting to...

I guess, it's all in how you interpret the commandments in the first place and how you define terms like Lust, Adultery and Covet... I don't see how they are breaking any commandments here, and I would assume they don't either.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:58 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• It is considered wrong to us but they are in a different religion from us.. they grew up around that. The first wife I feel is the favorite.. but that is my opinion. She has pretty much hand picked all the rest of the wives.. he seems to go to her when he has a problem.. and it is like the other wives know she is pretty much what they would call the "alpha" in the relationship.
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 12:09 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• is this a new show? i agree since they are married they not breakin the law, and the fact that they dont believe in that religion its not a law they follow anyway.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:13 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Polygamy is so confusing to me in so many ways..lol. But I am assuming that people who follow polygamy don't get involved in any hanky-panky before the vows are said.
    art.diva

Answer by art.diva at 12:28 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Where is it legal to be married to more than one person at a time?
    Kelli1012

Answer by Kelli1012 at 12:51 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Sabrina actually you are slighty incorrect. If a man is married to one woman and LOOKS upon another HE has already committed adultery in his heart. So yes OP you are right.
    A married man's eyes should be on his ONE wife and that SHOULD be enough. The same goes for a single man looking upon a single woman lustfully, he as already committed the sin of lust.
    This is why courting is better than dating.. you have better bounderies this way.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:28 AM on Oct. 4, 2010