How can I get my boys to try new foods?

My oldest son(11) wont touch a fruit and will only eat the 3 main veggies corn,pees,green beans and then only if its smothered in butter or ketchup or both! HELP!

mccoolemomma97

Asked by mccoolemomma97 at 11:39 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Kids' Health

• ok I had a very picky eat and this is what helped me
    1 eat foods around them. We would get big bowls of fruit in the summer time and sit together and eat them. she would just hand us things and not eat them at first but then she started to wasnt try things. I have asked her to try one bite and then she can stop if she doesn't like it.
    2 if my kids look at what I make and say YUCK then the next time I make it i have them help me. They want to try what they make, even if it's one bite
    after they try new things a few times the taste buds get use to it. It was a long process but she is much less picky than she was!
    I hope that helps!
    KaraMia15

Answer by KaraMia15 at 12:11 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• We always make our kids try at least one bite, and they don't have to finish it if they really don't want it. And we also reserve dessert for those who really tried to eat their food [they don't have to eat it all, just more than one or two bites]. And we offer the disliked foods over and over again, since it can take 5-10 tries before a child likes a new thing.
    art.diva

Answer by art.diva at 12:31 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Try to cook veggies into a meal so that he won't realize what he is eating -- hey it is worth a try & it just might work!
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 4:26 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• keep introducing things and encourage him to at least try a bite or two. Sometimes it takes several times before a child will even admit they like something.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:30 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• The rule at our house is they have to eat 1 bite for every year of age, so the 7 year old eats 7 bites, 5 yo eats 5 bites, etc. Sometimes we make up silly names for foods and they seem to really like that too.

Trying new foods can be stressful for mom and kids, but try to keep it positive. Threatening and yelling won't encourage them.

At my son's school, they have "food experiences" where the kids try new foods. Then they have a chart the will write a smiley or frowny face on if they like it or dislike it. They did 1 a week for a few months and now my oldest tries foods a lot more readily. Maybe that is an idea you could use....

Good luck!
    feltermom

Answer by feltermom at 11:16 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Double dog dare them for a special surprse!
    Mommee42boyz

Answer by Mommee42boyz at 12:49 PM on Oct. 6, 2010