Why am I getting so much crap for deciding to use Cloth Diapers?

AugustMidge

Asked by AugustMidge at 11:43 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I get crap for using disposables, since many of my friends are avid cloth diaperers. You just can't win :) Go with what works for your family and it will all work out. And get used to other people having an opinion about what you do, because once you have a kid everyone seems to be very excited to give you their opinion whether you ask for it or not!
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 12:31 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Because you trigger feelings of inadequacy in other parents.

I used cloth because 1. I'm amazingly cheap, and they're a fraction of the cost, 2. I'm tremendously lazy and will avoid going to a store for practically any reason I can think of, and 3. I hate the smell of the perfumes in those paper things, particularly after they've been pooped on. Gross!!

I never bought a single paper diaper, and because the hospital was using cloth when my kids were babies, never put on on either of them. We camped, including travelling 4500 miles by car to visit my mil, and drove back, camping the whole way... the space they take up is no different than paper, we need room to carry them clean, and they take up no more space dirty, and we have to do laundry all the bloody time whether we're camping or not. No one thinks of disposable shirts because they're camping, why diapers? Because they're 'convenient' according to the people who sell 'em
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:46 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Everyone is going to have their own opinions on cloth verse disposable diapers. But in the end your the one who will be saving money on them. Yea true that includes alot of washing but if its what you want to do than thats you. Dont let all the feedback get to you. Another good thing is you dont have to worry about which brand of diapers is going to break your child out. Probably will be better in the long run. Good for you. Good luck!!!
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 11:47 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Unless they are offering to do ALL the diaper changing for you, why do they care?

I don't really have all the time for extra laundry, etc. Coth diapers were SO much easier for me. I never had to worry about running out and having to make special trips to the store, clean diapers were delivered to my doorstep once a week. I don't know who started the idea of diaper services, but it's WAY better than the invention of sliced bread!

We got all the benefits of using cloth, with none of the down side.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 12:24 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Is that pun intended or not intended?

*smile*

Don't worry - I suppose you'll end up with enough crap to dish it back....don't feel you have to defend your choice. It's best for you and your family - so just.....hold your head higher and ignore their.....eh hem.....crap! lol
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 12:27 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I don't know. Im making the transition now and not receiving negative feedback. Good luck!
    Supernerdywife

Answer by Supernerdywife at 11:43 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I dunno, but I really want to go cloth with this one, and it's a complete uphill battle on this side... No one wants me to use cloth... Like it's bad for the baby or something... And I'm getting no help in finding a style or whatnot that will work for us either... I'm ready to give up and use the same ones we used with the other kids...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:44 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Don't give up Sabrina! They are so much healthier and cheaper. I am nervous about the whole thing but I am determined!
    AugustMidge

Comment by AugustMidge (original poster) at 11:45 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Because people are ignorant and too concerned with their own convenience and can't see why anyone would choose more work. People gave me all kinds of grief for it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:47 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• i had five kids and i just didn't have the time to use cloth so if you like cloth good for you ,but it is lot of work and your friends just think that you have enough to do with a baby
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 11:47 PM on Oct. 3, 2010