Did you get rid of your pets once you got pregnant?

We own a dog and a cat, I am presently 22 weeks pregnant and aren't planning to get rid of them. However two of my friends keep trying to convince me otherwise.

AugustMidge

Asked by AugustMidge at 11:44 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Of course not... Why would you? They are family members... I would think maybe you should get rid of your friends, keep your pets!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:45 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• nooooo thats just stupid!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:47 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I agree, keep the pets and ditch the friends! I have only one caution, while you are pregnant you should have someone else clean the litter box, especially if your cat goes outside, because of risk of toxoplasmosis.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 11:48 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I dont understand why they want to you get rid of them? Thats just silly.
    BabyBoyBlue

Answer by BabyBoyBlue at 11:48 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My 3 cats just annoyed me allllll the time when i was pregs, maybe bc i was really hormonal lol but i wouldnt get rid of them!!! No need at all. Unless, of course, they dont play nice around bebe.
    ashleyxo8

Answer by ashleyxo8 at 11:50 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Hell no!!! Our cats and dog are as much our family as our daughter!!!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 11:48 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    AugustMidge

Comment by AugustMidge (original poster) at 11:50 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I kept my pets ! I do have to say that I gave up one cat when my son was two months old because he kept inhaling her very fine hair and it accumulated in his nose...she shed etrocious amounts, so we did find her a new home...but we kept the dog and the other cat....
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 11:56 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My cat passed away & we have tons of litter, food, and even the enclosed litter box but then I found out I was pregnant so we decided against getting another cat. I've always heard that cats take the breathe away from babies and that freaks me out. Whether its true or not doesn't really matter because I don't like cats, but I just don't wanna take chances.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 12:01 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I didn't do it because of the pregnancy.We had just moved to a new town, we had my DD, and then met a family that loved our dog. I had a very high energy dog that wasn't doing well in the city in a town home that didn't have enough room for him. He went to a great family with 2 older kids, they had 2 dogs and 1/3 of an acre to run on instead of our tiny patch of grass. It was the right choice. with the med issues my DD had in the first yr he would have been neglected. I didn't "get rid" of my dog because anyone told me too. I was 2500 miles away from home and friends and was overwhelmed. I felt he deserved better than I could give him at the time and I am thankful there was such a loving family who wanted my dog. It was hard but it was for his well being. Not sure why your friends would tell you to get rid of your pets. that is a decision for you to make not them.
    KaraMia15

Answer by KaraMia15 at 12:03 AM on Oct. 4, 2010