What all can your little one do...

I went to Parent/Teacher night... For my son who in in KG, by the end of the year he is to, Read/Speed read, Write, Tie his shoes, Add/Subtract, Know all his number words, Count to 100... I always thought KG was for just learning the basic new stuff... Is this the basic new stuff??? The only thing he cant do is tie his shoes and Number words... So im guessing we are doing great...

HottMamaRossx2

Asked by HottMamaRossx2 at 12:04 PM on Oct. 24, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daughter is in kindergarten too and she has to know the same things and they have made it clear that if they do not have it all down by the end of the year that they will be repeating kindergarten!! She could not tie her shoes when school started along with 10 other kids and her teacher sent a note home saying this was unexeptable..... Needless to say she could tie them all by herself by the end of the first week!! Conferences are the first week in Nov and she has to know how to right her phone# and address by then and they are starting Spanish next semester!! I remember kindergarten being playtime when I went lol!! She has homework almost everynight of the week exept fridays, but thank god she is a very bright little girl and she isnt struggleing with anything so far...
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 12:21 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• they do expect al ot out of kids these days and that is alot, my son is still learning those things but i'm sure by the end of the year he'll have it down.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 12:06 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• my son is in kindergarden to so dont feel bad my son knows how to count to 30 he knows how to count from 5 to 100 doing the 2 10 and so on he can read alittle but he remomerizes stuff so i dont know if hes reading or just knows what comes next he dont know how to tie his shoes either he tryed this morning and almost got it i was proud i told him to keep practicing and he will get it i think you are
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 12:08 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• This is the new stuff. I know that in our schools the kids need to know all that stuff by the end of the year. I know might sound like a lot, but it really isn't.

Kids are learning things earlier and earlier. My only suggestion would be that you stay on top of things. I know that with my children I always have 3 conference a year. it is not required by the school, I just do it so I know how my kids are doing.

Good Luck

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:57 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Kindergarten is very different from when we were growing up. Nowadays, children are supposed to be able to read by first grade; I personally think it's overkill and numerous studies show that there is no benefit to pushing these kids into doing these types of things earlier.
    Anonymous

• My youngest in K writes his name and other words, although often spelled by sound rather than how they are actually spelled, reads small books consisting of short words, counts to 100, adds and subtracts and knows his sight words (a list they gave us at the beginning of the year)

For 100's, we started off with counting by tens, because you can make a pattern with them and then they learn to repeat the cycle. If they get stuck they can count by tens. For letters, sight words and sounding out we have cards that we go over, and when he gets stuck we sound it out bit by bit. I have him try at least 3 times and with clues before telling him an answer. We go over all his work again when he gets home as well as any books they send.

The work load of first grade is INTENSE. The faster you can get them up and running in kinder, the better experience they'll have when they go to first.
    Kestrel1

Answer by Kestrel1 at 1:28 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• My SS is in First now and was put on an ILP (individual literacy program) at the end of K because he wasn't quite up to par on nonsense word fluency. They are intended to help with the short vowel sounds. Now, he is right where he should be, but I was thinking as well that the amount of work expected in K now was fierce compared to what I was expected to know.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:04 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• This is the "new basic stuff".
    When I went to kindergarten (many, many years ago) they expected kids to learn their letters and to count to 10 by the end of the year. First grade was for teaching kids to read and do basic math.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:00 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I am shocked! I didn't realize that it was such a problem. I pretty much learned the same things in kindergarten as what my child learned in his kindergarten class last year. Seriously, I never thought anything was out of the ordinary. To me, the ultimate crime was that a student going into high school didn't know how to do addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. (My uncle was a high school math teacher and that shocked him.)
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 8:51 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• That's more then my 1st grader knows. He didn't know how to read at all at the end of kindergarten. They didn't even start working on reading until the last month or so. He's 7 now and just learning to read...struggling because he is stubborn and a perfectionist. It's finally starting to click for him after 2 months of school.
    My oldest dd went to a different school for k-1st and she still wasn't required to read at the end of kindergarten, even though she was (at a 2nd grade level). I think they expect way too much from kindergarteners now a days. Heck, I think my son's 1st grade teacher expects too much. It takes him 2+ hours to do his homework at night and he is starting to hate school.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:25 AM on Oct. 25, 2008