? For moms who have had 3 or more pregnancies

This is my Third Pregnancy. I have been induced both times before. The first time I was 39 weeks and the last time 37 weeks. The time I was in labor did get shorter the next time. However, I've been told that you don't necessarily go earlier or on your own just because you have had more than one child. I've met some Moms lately that have had to be induced with babies five and six.

So my question is, if you have three or more kids.....did you seem to go into labor earlier and did things seem to go faster?

I am 35 weeks but I want to make sure that this baby has plenty of time to bake...I hope he waits until at least 37 weeks.

hsmominky

Asked by hsmominky at 12:17 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• 1st baby I was 3 days early. Went on my own. Labor lasted about 14 hours.
    2nd baby I was 10 days early. Went on my own. Labor lasted about 12 hours.
    3rd baby I was 14 days early. My water broke and no contractions for 9 hours. I had to be induced. 8 hours later I had her. So all together it was 17 hours but I was only in real labor for 8 hours.
    Now pregnant with baby #4. I have 10 days to my due date. I expected her to be here already but she's being stubborn. I see my Dr. tomorrow and we will be talking about being induced.
    Mamagirlz

Answer by Mamagirlz at 11:11 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• idk so much about going into labor earlier all of my kids were full term 38weeks or more, but my third was MUCH faster labor... actually he was so fast he came out on his own at home :P I didn't really know what natural labor felt like because i was induced with my first like you were so when i was in actual labor it didn't feel that bad and i didn't really know it was true labor. i tried timing and keeping track too but it was inconsistent so i didn't know what to expect, kwim? then he just CAME all of a sudden and there was no time to get to the hospital, it was very frightening for me but my son is now a happy healthy 18month old and i have an interesting birth story :D Good luck to you and i hope your labor goes smoothly and fast as well, as long as you're where u want to be ;-)
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 12:21 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I have three children and the first by far was a very long long labor, 16+ hours! It was tough. I was NOT induced though, she was late, about a week to 10 days, forgot exactly. My second I was induced for medical reasons (my first, I had a complication after she was born, but we were both fine) and it was DEFINITELY a much shorter labor, he was born only 10 days before my edd. My third, I requested to be induced and she turned out to be only a few days before my edd (so definitely more than 37 weeks....

I think it is difficult to say...with each person, each pregnancy is different; you can't compare one person's pregnancy to another, nor can you compare your own pregnancy with a previous one, fortunately or unfortunately...GOOD LUCK! I hope your baby stays in as long as you possibly can. :)

I look forward to hearing good news!

Rebecca Barkai/CEO
    www.startingoutsmall.com
    info@startingoutsmall.com
    Eemaof3

Answer by Eemaof3 at 12:22 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• this rule so does not apply to me. First child came on his own at 37 weeks and labor was 12hours. I was indced with his sister at 39 weeks and even the nurses said oh this labor shold be fast like 3 nurses! NOPE 12hours!Then my last child was 19hours! So for me this rule never applied...LOL
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 12:24 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My first three were overdue, by five, three, and ten days. Then the next two were right on time, then the next three were two weeks early, ten days early, and two weeks early. The first five were two day labors (no, I'm not kidding) and I refused to have C-sections, so too bad for the doctors trying to rush me. Then I went down to about twelve hour labors, then a thirteen hour labor. So, yes, for me things did end up going quicker, although I am still slower than most people and it took me longer than normal to catch up.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 12:27 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I just had my third!! My labor with him was horrible! I had terrible back pain felt like i was going vomit everywhere and even had to use number 2 YUCK!! But labor with him was 3 hours and he was 39 wks 5 days before edd. My first was 6 hours induced and she was 38. My second was also 6 hours induced and 40 wks. This 3rd baby was the only one non induced I actually got to feel what is was like not to be induced but you know I liked induced way better! Go figure.
    amandaeastman

Answer by amandaeastman at 12:28 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• my first I was induced at 37 wks. took 12 hrs. My 2nd went into labor at 39wks 4 days. labor was 10hrs. Those were both girls. With my 3rd i went into labor at 39 wks. It would have gone faster if they would have let me push when I wanted to like with the 2nd baby. instead they wanted me to wait to get the rest of the cervix gone instead of letting me push thru it, so with the back labor stopping things and making me weight it was 12hrs again. The last 3 hrs were the wait game, with back labor, I will not let them do that to me again. also the 3rd was a boy and his shoulders were wider so that may have slowed it a little, pushing took a couple min longer but wasn't a big deal.
    KaraMia15

Answer by KaraMia15 at 12:34 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I was induced at 40 weeks and 39 weeks, then with my third I went into labor at 38.5 weeks. My labor lasted all day but was only painful for about 5 hours.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:46 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I had three children. I was not induced. My first was complicated by placental abruption, and they think she was a few days early. My second was born on her due date after only a few hours of labor. My third was 9 days overdue....we think. LOL. WHo can reallty tell for certain when your due date is. I would never be induced. It would have to be more than a month late or with some compications. Normal , spontaneous births are better and safer.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:03 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• You *should* labor spontaneously if you're healthy & fine = normal. No reason to be concerned with big interventions like that unless there were complications. It shouldn't be an issue that you were induced before if you're healthy now.

"Having" to be induced means different things to different people~ going past the due date, for example, isn't a medical reason, but some moms don't know this and think they "had to" intervene.
    So you might not worry about that, focus on a happy healthy pregnancy and know that Baby *WILL* come at the very best time for Baby / your body.

Best wishes!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:36 AM on Oct. 4, 2010