Breastfeeding

My daughter just turned nine months old and I still nurse her. + Bottle feed as well. But what is a normal age to stop giving her a boob. Esp. since shes bites sometimes! >.<

ashleyxo8

Asked by ashleyxo8 at 12:18 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is completely up to you, but even more up to your baby. There are some moms who stop at 12-18 months, but many more let their baby self-wean when he/she is ready. Biting is going to happen, and there are many resources to help with that. And regardless of what anyone may tell you, when you wean is between you and your baby...don't feel pressured to continue or to quit at anytime. Sorry if I wasn't much help.

Good Luck!!!
    art.diva

Answer by art.diva at 12:21 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I am still breastfeeding at 21 months, some women refuse to ever breastfeed at all, so there isn't really a "normal." Biting can be discouraged by taking the boob away when she does it and telling her NO BITING. Breastmilk is really good for her, and it's good for you too (not to mention economical.) Why not wait and see when she decides she doesn't want it anymore?
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 12:22 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• It is a personal decision that can only be made by you and your baby! I said I was going to stop BF once my son turned a year. Well he's 14 months old now and I still nurse him before his nap and before bedtime. Granted he only nurses on one side for like 3 minutes before he passes out but I still feel like he isn't ready to stop completely yet...so I continue. The World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding until at least the age of 2. If you want to shoot for that, then more power to you! However, I think you will know when its time to stop. And just and FYI...my son went through a "biting" phase around that age as well. It didn't last long and now he literally NEVER bites me.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:27 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I agree... it's up to you. My son stopped BF at a little over 12 months. He was so active and already walking that it seemed like he didn't have time to BF anymore... lol. I stopped with my daughter at 10 months because I suffer PPD when breastfeeding and I also felt a need to get my own body back. I kept getting painful clogged ducts too. She didn't seem to mind and moved onto a bottle/sippy cup without any fuss. No matter what you decide... congrats for BF'ing for 9 months! Woot!
    inthepit

Answer by inthepit at 12:36 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I don't know if there is a "specific" age when you should take your child away from your breast. If you feel you have had enough, maybe it is time for you to stop. My three children were all LATE at getting their first tooth/teeth, so I did not have that issue. (if I did, I am sure I would have stopped sooner). I always intended to go to a year. My first, I nursed and gave formula because she was a very hungry baby. My middle, I only nursed and did until HE was no longer interested, that was at 10 months and my baby (now almost 21 months) I nursed the longest, until 13 months. It was great...so bonding. I also had a long space between my middle and youngest, 6 years.

Good luck!

Eemaof3

Answer by Eemaof3 at 12:37 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• 1 to 1 1/2. you can try tapping her mouth lightly with your finger and say No firmly
    DawnDietz777

Answer by DawnDietz777 at 1:02 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Normal is subjective. Biologically, humans probably naturally wean "normally" between 2 and 5 years of age. Society has shortened that considerably so that it's "normal" to wean between 1 and 2 years of age now. In the end, it's up to you. I personally have a 2 year minimum.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:00 AM on Oct. 4, 2010