How can I get my 3 year old to stop getting up in the middle of the night?

My 3 year old has always slept through the night, but recently she has been waking me up 1to3 times a night to take her to the bath room. She refuses to go by herself and I have tried cutting back on fluids before bed. Any advise?

DawnDietz777

Asked by DawnDietz777 at 12:20 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• all i can think of is a night light or Christmas lights to help light the way to the bathroom for her. My 1st DD was afraid of the dark for a long while
    KaraMia15

Answer by KaraMia15 at 12:24 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• unfortunately i think its just a stage they go through, is she actually using the bathroom when she gets up or just wanting to wake you up and that's the excuse she gives? my 3.5 yo has been going through the same thing kinda except she doesn't get up to go potty she just lays in bed and crys and whines and calls me until i go in there, which is really bad cause she shares a room with her older sister (who luckily sleeps like a rock :P) she has recently been having night terrors too so i know its just the age and a phase they go through... wish i could help you more though, i know its REALLY rough on us mommas to be getting up 3 times a night!
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 12:26 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I used to have a night light in her room and the hall way but that wasn't enough it has to be the hall light, which we turn off when she falls asleep.
    She is actually going to the bathroom, so I don't really know, I think it's just a phase too, but didn't know if there was a way to speed it up ;)
    DawnDietz777

Comment by DawnDietz777 (original poster) at 12:29 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My son has a night light in his room. Maybe you could put a night light in both her room, the hallway and the bathroom...that way she feels as though there is some light to get to where she needs to go. Is she sleeping in her own room or in yours? Because if she can get up to walk to your room and not walk to the bathroom sounds to me like there might be another problem.
    MMadrid

Answer by MMadrid at 12:56 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My daughter is 3 and has never slept through the night. She's still up at least once a night.
    August07Mom

Answer by August07Mom at 10:22 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• You could try waking her just before you go to sleep yourself. It might at least reduce the number of night time wakings.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:26 AM on Oct. 4, 2010