How to discipline a 17 month old?

My son is 17 months and a little stinker sometimes. He is into hitting right now, but not necessarily to be mean, he thinks it's funny. How would you handle this?

DawnDietz777

Asked by DawnDietz777 at 12:26 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• calmly but firmly tell him no and try to distract him, if that doesn't help at all try short time-outs? i hear ya on this one, my 18month old thinks its hilarious to beat up on his sisters and mommy @@ the only time we really get mad or 'punish' him is when he bites though cause he has LOTS of teeth and it HURTS! He's definately learning the difference between 'playing' and 'naughty' though cause he gets in trouble when he's being naughty and i just kinda ignore it when he's just playing :P
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 12:29 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Use ur mommy voice. Keep it short. "u hurt mommy! Hands are not for hitting!"
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 12:29 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Be firm and say, "Ouch!! Hitting hurts mommy!!!" Time outs will NOT work with a 17 month old. They are too young to understand. Redirection in key at this age. Don't play "hitting", don't hit back...then it really becomes a game.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:32 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I have an almost 21 month old and each child goes through these "normal" stages that we as parents HATE. You just firmly say NO, we don't hit and you gently take their hand away. It is totally developmental, it is frustrating for us as parents to see when it is done to other kids...but as long as you teach your child it is NOT okay to hit anyone, including you and you gently take their hand away, always be firm but loving and caring at the same time (if it is possible)...they will learn and stop. It may take a little while, but it will end.

GOOD LUCK! I remember when my oldest (she is now 10) would hit and I would be so embarrassed, especially since I was an early childhood teacher, but it happens to all our kids, we just need to grin and bear it until it passes. I wish you lots of luck! It will get better, have no fear! Then you will get to the next stage...which will have new challenges! :)
    Eemaof3

Answer by Eemaof3 at 12:33 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Time outs ALWAYS worked best for me. I used it from the time he started crawling. I would just do 1 minute. Then as age went up it was a minute per age. When he got up or out of time out I would put him back. OVER and OVER again until he served his time. Eventually he got it and learned time out. To this day, now 6 years old, he doesn't want anything to do with time out. Worked like a charm for us.
    MMadrid

Answer by MMadrid at 12:52 AM on Oct. 4, 2010