How do I travel with 3 small children?

My husband and I live in Wa and are from Ia. We are driving back home this winter to see family. We have a 3 year old, 17 month old and a 4 month old. Any suggestions on entertaining them?

DawnDietz777

Asked by DawnDietz777 at 12:37 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Travel

• I feel your pain. We have had to do a lot of traveling to see family with young kids. We pack coloring books, toys, snacks, drinks etc. Think of what they like the most or things maybe they don't play with much to take. Sometimes a cup and spoon will entertain the 1 yr old longer than anything. For the baby I would put a car mobile or a hanging to look at. I hope your trip goes well! As you travel you will learn more about what will keep the occupied during the trips.
    KaraMia15

Answer by KaraMia15 at 12:45 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Talk to them, sing with them, point out beautiful things along the way, and let them nap. People always made it seem like traveling with small children is a hard things to do, but the attitude of the parents can really set the stage. Determine beforehand to enjoy it! We have never had a bad trip with our children, and we don't do DVDs, video games, or anything like that. We have made lots of trips over the years, and have loved that time with our children. We usually go 3-4 hours between stops too. It can be fun if you make it! Enjoy!
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 12:45 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My son is 2 and my daughter is 9 months old adn we went on an 8hr road trip to see family. what helped with my kids is they watched their favorite cartoons on the portable dvd player and they slept most of the time ( my son sleeps alot during car rides cause he gets carsick easily) we packed a bag of toys to keep them entertained between everything.
    cstbfarris

Answer by cstbfarris at 1:03 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I did that drive last winter by myself. We drove from Wa to IA and then on to FL and then NC and then back. Movies were my best friend along with snacks. I didn't do that many toys because I did not want them fighting over things but books to were great. I made it in 33 hours. I only stopped for gas and at night we stayed in Cabins at KOA's. I was trying to keep it as cheap as possible and that way I could drive right up to the place and since it was a campground I did not have to worry about the kids making noise and being kids. With two sets of hands you will be fine. That was my hardest thing going at it alone is that I had to drive so my hands were not available to help the kids.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:27 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• We just did a drive from Denver to a small town two hours east of Dallas this summer with my daughter (almost 4). Something that helped out a lot was to have music she liked, have movies she enjoyed watching, as well as coloring books. My mom bought a pillow pet for her and that helped out A LOT.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:27 AM on Oct. 9, 2010