What can I do with my SO?

He works really hard and he is at work every night on time and does his job but he puts of doing other stuff like he started to get his ged a year ago got done with the turting and it was time to take his test but he needed an id so it took about 6 months to get him that and he still doesnt have his ged. He needs to get his license he is 19 and just wont do it and complains that he has to walk to work. We even already have a car he just needs his license. I have my permit but I need someone over 21 with me in the car that has been licensed for at least 3 years. How can I nicely encourge him to do this stuff.

K3lly94

Asked by K3lly94 at 12:50 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• It sounds like he's making excuses. At 19 years old (whether or not they're married or a parent), making excuses and procrastination is a middle name. If it helps, you can figure out everything else that will be able to happen if these few things are taken care of (license, GED, etc.). Make a list of goals and put it on your fridge. One column is goals and the other column lists what NEEDS to happen in order to accomplish those goals. As you meet the "what needs to happen" items, cross them off and make a big deal about it. This might get him motivated (it helps with potty training, why not with adults lacking motivation??).
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 9:26 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• he should want to do these things on his own. you guys are in an adult situation so the excuses have to go. sacrifice some sleep or whatever it takes for him to get it together. if encouraging him doesnt work, try the tough love route
    3xangel

Answer by 3xangel at 3:59 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Sounds like you need to push him into it. Lay the law down so to speak. Tough love.
    teddi32465

Answer by teddi32465 at 2:12 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• The only encouragement you can give him is what you already probably are doing. He has to want to do for himself. Each time he complains tell him straight out not to complain to you because only he can change his situation
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 10:18 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• encouragemnet
    DWeitz

Answer by DWeitz at 11:17 AM on Oct. 4, 2010