For those of you who have teenagers, do they support your political party?

I thought about this quite a bit after I posted the question whether or not it was right to have Obama in our literature books for advanced 8th grade english, well last night my son came home and told me he's getting moved to advanced english and he is an 8th grader, I told him that if his teachers any of them focused on any one candidate Obama or McCain that he needed to bring it to my attention. I try really hard to give my boys both sides of the campaign I switch between FOX and CNN every morning while they are getting around so they have an unbiased view. And well I was wondering what other parents do? Now my stepson messes with me all the time he hides my McCain sign but he does it just for fun and they all do support a more conservative view on government but I do tell them to watch for signs of change in your political party you choose to represent.

SheriSanchez

Asked by SheriSanchez at 12:26 PM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• My kids are too young to understand (2 & 1) but I wanted to say kudos to you! Alot of parents try to influence their kids to believe one way or the other. I grew up thinking I was a democrat b/c thats what my mom & step-dad are. Then when I got older and researched things for myself I realized I agree more with the republicans. So I think it's great that you're exposing them to both groups!
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 12:29 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Thank you for presenting an unbiased view to them! I was a teenager during the last election, and my parents didn't discuss politics with me at all. They just said "If you could vote you would vote for Bush" and left it at that. They didn't tell me WHY I "should vote" for him. Now I'm 20 and I am strictly democratic. My mom is strictly republican and my dad swings either way depending on the election. We've gotten in more than one argument about our political views...I think they can't understand how they managed to raise a democratic daughter, lmao. I really wish they would've presented all viewpoints to me and taught me about both sides instead of leaving it up for me to decide when I turned eighteen.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:36 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I think it is hard for them not to be what their parents represent especially when we feel very strongly about things. My husband who is 18 yrs military calls me his "radical little republican". But I think my almost 14 year old son has the abilities to someday maybe go into Politics, and I tell him it's Ok for him to make mistakes as long as he clings to the basis of his moral self and is always honest about his mistakes and owns up to them. I want them to search out which party represents them most closely by their beliefs.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 12:36 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I sometimes see my almost 14 yr old representing a more Democratic view, because he is such a fighter and a protecter, which honestly if the democrats believed in Pro-Life and less government I would be a Democrat too, I just can't waiver on those 2 things that's why I vote Republican.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 1:06 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I don't have teenagers (tho my 3 yr old sometimes THINKS she's 16 with the attitude)

I just wanted to commend you on not swaying yours to conform with your beliefs, but still having them informed. My parents were very un-political growing up and didn't vote at all, so when it came time for the government end of school, I felt like a big dummy. Good job mom!
    destinee_115

Answer by destinee_115 at 1:27 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• My son has the same political views that I do but it's completely his choice. I don't believe they should even talk about politics in school because even though everyone has the right to their opinion any talk about it is usually biased and the teacher will focus on the candidate that they want to win.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Hi destinee, yes as much as sometimes I don't like things they say I do try to make sure their views are enriched both ways, don't get me wrong we still swing the majority of the time more conservatively but I do like to foster independence.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 1:54 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Two of my kids are more conservative like myself. One of my kids is liberal. I don't try to influence any of them one way or the other. I always explain to them that they have to research each candidate and decide which one best fits the same beliefs as themselves. I also tell them that if they're not going to educate themselves on the candidates then they have no business voting. I also explain to them that if they choose not to vote regardless of who they'd like to see win and their candidate doesn't win then they can't complain.
    OldrWizrMom

Answer by OldrWizrMom at 2:07 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I have an 18yr. old son who will be voting for the first time and he tells me that he is voting for McCain because he thinks McCain has the experience to take care of the problems with the war in Iraq since he has served his country and knows how the military works. I ask some of my son's friends who are not yet 18 if they could vote who they would vote for and one of his friends told me yesterday that he would not for Obama because he has a Civics class where they are discussing the elections and he says that none of the Obama supporters or Obama himself can explain in detail what his plan of "change" is and where he is going to get the money for his plans? I'm glad to hear that young people are also talking about these issues as well as the adults...because honestly their future is relying on who we vote into office!
    Anonymous

• My kids share my views. By choice. My son who is 11 is a little intellect and a computer geek. LOL.. he does tons of research and he is a little fighter. Aside from teh campaign he has contested some of the issues in his school with the bill of rights. Love him. My daughter (16) is the peace lover. she works in teh school day care and is state certified to assist in early childhood education. Hate the NCLB and other stuff. Her boyfriend elisted in the army last year and spend the summer training and will be leaving in June when they graduate. he went with me and voted early on Monday. for Obama. He is like another one of my kids.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 2:25 PM on Oct. 24, 2008