How many hours a day are you actively engaged with your 4 year old?

My son wants my attention constantly. He literally asks 100's of questions a day (I counted 25 in less than half an hour one time). I just need a break sometimes but the moment I try to take one, he starts acting out (hitting his sister, doing things he knows he's not supposed to be doing, etc). I was wondering how much time does your child spend playing by themselves and how much time do you spend engaged with your child (playing, reading, doing tasks together, etc)?

inthepit

Asked by inthepit at 1:50 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• All day.......
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 2:27 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Not as much as I should. I try to spend an hour a day just with him, but that rarely happens, and I've never managed to get it all at once.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 10:36 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Much of the day, but I've never allowed any of my children to be demanding of my time. Jalen, now 4, will ask questions and I will respond. We also read together every evening at bedtime. After his nap, we will do something together like play outside or go for a walk or play a board game. We are actively engaged during meals and he often "helps" me in the kitchen when I am cooking. We talk and he is given fun and simple tasks to do while running errands. But Jalen, like my older 3 were at this same age, is capable of understanding "alone time", "quiet time", "enough talking for right now, color quietly while I (do whatever)" and "ok, it's time for you to go play".
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 10:37 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• If it was up to him ALL day but with a newborn,cleaning,bills,cooking, theres minimal time. I will play a game,read,color, walks,park so on but I try to encourage him to go play on his own. when he does its for like 15 mins then right back by me asking questions again. So I would say literally ALL day. Motherhood.. :)
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 1:11 AM on Oct. 6, 2010