how do you react if your child uses a cuss word?

If you hear your child using a swear word, what is your immediate reaction?

art.diva

Asked by art.diva at 2:20 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• My daughter was 3yrs old, chubby little cheeks, currly blonde hair. She dropped her Favorite Ba Ba - Winnie The Pooh Bottle. ''SHIT'' The dreaded curse word came out of that cute little mouth.... I calmly asked her, ''Who taught you that Bad word?'' Thinking that she would say Da Da did. She replied, ''Mommy everytime you drop your keys you say SHIT'' So it really Depends on the age and Most important Who taught the curse word. If I had her bite into a bar of soap that day I would be the 1st in line....
    emily1230

Answer by emily1230 at 12:28 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• tell them we don't talk like that and give them an extra chore to do. If I hear it again that is when it is going to get messy, chores till they have not energy to thing about bad words
    KaraMia15

Answer by KaraMia15 at 2:22 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I don't react. Reacting means you are giving the word power. I just treat it like any other word if we are at home. If we are in public I quietly remind my children that you don't say those words in public.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:14 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I say " Are you kidding me?" THey get the point. Has not happened with the littel kids but the big ones slip and they will check themselves.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 8:58 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• It depends on if they know its a bad word or not. I always ask what that word means and if they act guilty they get punished. If they dont know what it means we have a talk about that word and they have to promise not to use it again.
    dmelyoung

Answer by dmelyoung at 9:02 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My 5 y/o DD has said a word or two...it's always cute when she says it, just bc she will always ask what it means, and if she's allowed to say it. Thankfully, nothing has been said in public though.
    BUT, I do tell her that she isn't allowed to say that word, and will get popped if she says it again.
    blueeyedbabyz

Answer by blueeyedbabyz at 9:44 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• we do soap in th mouth, and a talk about appropriate words!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:37 PM on Oct. 4, 2010