Can anyone give me potty training tips?

My son is having a very difficult time potty training, I've even taken leave from work to try and work with him more. He's terrified of any toilet, even his little fisher price potty. Any tips? Please. I'm so sick of diapers!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds like he might not be ready. I know that is the last thing you want to hear. If you really want to try potty training here are a few things that we did.

First I took my son shopping for Big Boy underwear. I got really excited about it and let him pick whatever he wanted.

Second, we made a sticker charter and I let him buy new stickers for it.

Every time he went on the potty he got a sticker. After "X" amount of stickers he would get a special treat.

I think you have to remember to make it exciting and fun for him and do not get mad when he has an accident. He is going to have many of them and if he gets in trouble because of it then he will not want to learn.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:42 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• we are potty training also and i was told it will happen over night. he has done it once but didnt do it for a long time. then this morning he told me he had to potty so we ran to the potty and he went... so i do think it will just happen when hes ready
    Anonymous

• try treats like the first poster said, we are potty training our 13 month old son right now too, and we give him m&m's if he goes on then potty, now he is getting were he wants to be on it and he will go, try treats kids love that, and it would help him want to be on it if you give him something for it!
    momacowgirl

Answer by momacowgirl at 12:50 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Get rid of the diapers, at least during the day. I put my son in underwear and after two weeks he is doing really well. He wets once in a while, put many times it is just a little because he has learned how to stop himself. I do have to take him every two hours. We made it a part of the routine. HE goes potty when he wakes up, before he eats, before we leave the house, and when we come home and before bed. (poop is taking a little longer) The most important thing is to stay positive. If you show your frustration, then the child will get frustrated.
    Anonymous

• I think the first problem here is the fear of the toilet and little potty. A big potty can be a scary thing to a child especially if they have fallen in. It is also very noisy to some children. Try taking his little potty out of the bathroom where the big toilet is. Maybe have him put stickers on the little potty. Have him set a dolly or favorite stuffed animal on the toilet. Show him it is not scary. Have him sit on it to read his favorite story book. Once his fear is taken away then try the other ideas for potty training. I had the best success with potty training 2yr olds in preschool when the cotton training pants were used or big boy underpants. NO diapers or Pull ups. Praise and reward success, be matter of fact about accidents and have the child change their own clothes. Have the child wear easy on and easy off clothing like sweatpants and t-shirts.
    Meerkatie

Answer by Meerkatie at 6:43 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• another trick of the trade was having little boys pee on fruit loops in the potty. It got them to go in the first place and made going fun.
    Meerkatie

Answer by Meerkatie at 6:44 PM on Oct. 24, 2008