Negativity in parenting ...

My DH and I tried for over 2 years before we were blessed with our son ... so needless to say, we are so grateful for him and adore him, even when he's crazy! I have been hanging out with a mom and her son for a few months, and we get along great, and our kids get along well, but she is extremely negative about being a mom ... she sees it as a burden, not a blessing. I have found that I'm starting to become more negative regarding my son's needs - and I am just not that mom and don't want to become that way!! What would you do? I don't know if we should just cut back on our playdates, etc. or if I should talk to her about it. Thank you for any positive encouragement!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• life is too short to be negative or hang around anyone negative. i would cut the friendship loose. find other women to hang out with who ENJOY being a mother. i know motherhood is tough at times, but thats no reason to be a negative nancy.
    3xangel

Answer by 3xangel at 3:36 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• If you really value the friendship that has developed, and you'd like to be of some help, you might want to talk to her about it. Then at least you know you tried before you cut back on play dates or ended it altogether. She may just have stresses you don't know about and might welcome someone to talk to. Good luck no matter what you decide.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:45 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• maybe she is stressed and not getting the help she needs at home so she feels drained. don't let her bring you down, instead try to bring her up.

good luck!
    Hollea

Answer by Hollea at 2:11 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I would not point it out to her because she will just get defensive. I sometimes get negative about my son because he is in his terrible toddler years, always tearing up everything, pulling food out of the fridge, whining nonstop, and I don't ever get a single bit of help from my husband. I get really sick of being cooped up in the house all day long with a whiny little boy who sometimes has me just ready to pull my hair out. But I do try to remember that he is a blessing and I will look back on these years and remember his sweet smile, not the messes he made. Even when i am going crazy I still tell him I love him, just not always the things he does. You could either try to say positive things when she starts talking negative, or just start hanging out with her less. Maybe try to do things with her that will keep you both busy instead of sitting in the house talking about how annoyed she is
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 5:52 PM on Oct. 4, 2010